Tracks not in library after 4 months

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

markismusic
Impressive
Impressive

Tracks not in library after 4 months

Post by markismusic » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:56 pm

Hey guys and gals,
Hope everyone is getting some good black Friday/cyber Monday deals!

Could use some advice from the forum for a situation I'm in...
I signed a non-exclusive contract a while back with a large library company with a great placement history.
Gave them a ton of tracks (about 100 in a variety of genres) since they said they can use a lot if not all of them.
I have been keeping an eye on the libraries website for about 4 months now and haven't seen my tracks pop up yet.
I understand 100 tracks is a lot and requires a ton of administrative work (not to mention obviously I'm not the only composer they are dealing with).

I'm just wondering if i should reach out and ask if there is anything i can do to help?
Like create albums concepts by grouping similar tracks and writing more to fill out any holes.
Or should i just bite my tongue (I don't want to annoy them) and just keep trying to sign the tracks to other non-exclusive libraries (as I probably should be doing anyway)?

Any insight is appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Mark

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Tracks not in library after 4 months

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:23 am

Its not great but these Libraries work at their own speed.

Some do it really quickly, others take forever. Definitely waited longer that 4 months on occassion.

I would just not worry about it, especially on a non ex basis. Those tracks can be used elsewhere so I would just keep writing and submitting

Mark

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:45 pm

You can check your PRO account to see if they have been registered yet. If they have no worries. if they haven't, no worries again - they will get there.

Some libraries take an age to get stuff registered, some only do it when things have gotten placed to reduce admin time.

One thing you might do in the future:

Most libraries are happy to take a bunch of stuff that you have in the can if they think they can use it. But its not necessarily what they need right now - so they might be a little slower to process those cues.

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:08 pm

I've had it take anywhere from several months to just a few hours.

Several years back a library was taking a really long time, we were on good terms so I contacted the owner. He said he'd been promoting the tracks but wasn't in a hurry to put them on the website because they never really did much business from their website. PS. I never have gotten any placements with that library :roll:

It's similar for getting tracks registered on the PRO. Sometimes it happens "fast" (within 30 days or so) and sometimes takes many many months. I don't worry much about that because if the track gets used the library will register it so the library gets their share of royalty.

Congrats on getting a deal on so many tracks at once. Good luck.
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

markismusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by markismusic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:48 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:23 am
Its not great but these Libraries work at their own speed.

Some do it really quickly, others take forever. Definitely waited longer that 4 months on occassion.

I would just not worry about it, especially on a non ex basis. Those tracks can be used elsewhere so I would just keep writing and submitting

Mark
Really appreciate the insight Mark.
Exactly what I need to hear from the more experienced members.
Thanks again!

markismusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by markismusic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:55 am

andygabrys wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:45 pm
You can check your PRO account to see if they have been registered yet. If they have no worries. if they haven't, no worries again - they will get there.

Some libraries take an age to get stuff registered, some only do it when things have gotten placed to reduce admin time.

One thing you might do in the future:

Most libraries are happy to take a bunch of stuff that you have in the can if they think they can use it. But its not necessarily what they need right now - so they might be a little slower to process those cues.
Interesting. Really glad I reached out. Great advice as always Andy!
Thanks for taking the time to help out the small guy.

markismusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by markismusic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:02 pm

jdstamper wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:08 pm
I've had it take anywhere from several months to just a few hours.

Several years back a library was taking a really long time, we were on good terms so I contacted the owner. He said he'd been promoting the tracks but wasn't in a hurry to put them on the website because they never really did much business from their website. PS. I never have gotten any placements with that library :roll:

It's similar for getting tracks registered on the PRO. Sometimes it happens "fast" (within 30 days or so) and sometimes takes many many months. I don't worry much about that because if the track gets used the library will register it so the library gets their share of royalty.

Congrats on getting a deal on so many tracks at once. Good luck.
Didn't realize it was such a common thing in this industry.
Thanks very much for the perspective. Seriously helps a ton!

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:32 am

jdstamper wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:08 pm
The same thing happened to me with two music libraries. For one, I have few placements. The other one went out of business!