Soundcloud??

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Soundcloud??

Post by ResonantTone » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:53 am

Hey all,

Curious if anyone else saw what soundcloud is doing for free users... just got this in an email.

"To make lossless HD file management free to all, starting December 9th, our free upload limit will change from 3 hours of audio, to 3 hours or 15 tracks. This will not impact existing uploads. Learn how this change might affect you at our Help Center."

So apparently free-plan users won't be able to upload any more tracks in a week? :shock:

Curious as to how this is gonna play out for them.

Andrew

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Soundcloud??

Post by funsongs » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:00 am

Having opted only for the free version since learning about Soundcloud in 2013, and its popularity and usefulness for 'going public' with song/music projects -
the limited use has peaked out at 54 tracks - give or take - based on 2:30 - 4:00 length songs.
If the 'free' things gets chopped way back... ouch. Will You Tube be far behind? or the only other 'free' option?

Interested to see how/where this leads.
Thanks for the post, Andrew.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:15 pm

For anyone out there lookin for alternatives at this point, I've been checking out audius.co .... though I haven't been able to find any info on if they do the streaming LUFs normalization thing like spotify (which I absolutely detest). Clyp.it is another option, but I'm not a fan of the visual side of the site as a whole.

Andrew

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:45 pm

Yeah I finally ditched soundcloud a while back, just got too spammy/fishy for me. I have a paid account with Box.com that works well for me. I also hear good things about Disco.

kyliecouper
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kyliecouper » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:42 am

I have just signed up for DISCO. I really like it so far. They also have some potential developments coming soon which will help composers like us.

I still have stuff on Soundcloud but if I have to start paying for what's there, I will reduce the number of tracks down until I'm back into free territory

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Picardster » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:20 am

kyliecouper wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:42 am
I have just signed up for DISCO. I really like it so far. They also have some potential developments coming soon which will help composers like us.

I still have stuff on Soundcloud but if I have to start paying for what's there, I will reduce the number of tracks down until I'm back into free territory
Same here. Disco allows much smarter administration of all kinds of tracks. I'm still on Soundcloud as well, but every time I post something I get a few likes of these advertising spammers (which I ignore).

Has anybody the feeling that SC is a valuable tool for marketing? I only use it to check how my songs sound on different devices, when compressed to mp3 format....

Cheerio

BMiller
Active
Active

Post by BMiller » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:29 am

I received that email too, Andrew. I may keep using it just to send private links to my libraries to "ok" a song and then delete it off the page. However, I do have a music reel on there of about 10 songs for examples of my work, I may have to look into another source for this.

Brad

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:38 am

Yeah, I got the email yesterday (or was it the day before), too. I'm a free user, and I've really only used SoundCloud a small amount to this point, typically for in-progress projects, such as when I'd publicly committed to doing a pop album in the space of a bit less than a year a few years back and was posting tracks to an "album candidates" playlist along the way. For the most part, I'd left tracks up there once I'd posted them, so, since that album had 12 songs, it got me pretty close to the new 15-song limit on its own. I think I was somewhere upwards of 20 tracks at the start of yesterday.

I'd also occasionally used SoundCloud embeds in my blogs (e.g. "story behind the song" entries), so I had to check what I was doing there to before selecting tracks to delete in order to be able to upload more next time I want to use SoundCloud for other purposes (e.g. private tracks for feedback). I ended up searching my website for SoundCloud references, then replacing any of those references with YouTube embeds (since all the songs I'd linked in the blog are now released and available).

These days I typically release my mainstream recordings (mostly songs with vocals, but occasionally instrumental songs) relatively soon after I finish them, so it's easy to direct people who just want to hear my music to Spotify, Apple Music, or whatever service they prefer. Thus far, I've only attempted instrumental cues a handful of times. If I start doing more of that in the future, I may need to look closer into how best to handle some sort of portfolio/demo reel of that type, though I do make the few cues I've done (that TAXI passed on already) available on Songtradr. In the meantime, a limitation of 15 tracks on SoundCloud isn't likely to be too severe for my temporary private tracks for feedback usage. I'll also keep at least a handful of public tracks up there for anyone who wants to get some general sense of my music and happens to stumble upon me on SoundCloud itself.

Rick

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Soundcloud?? NOT GONNA CHANGE IT

Post by funsongs » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:44 pm

All y'alls who use it, probably already got today's email alert - rescinding their earlier news to change the upload limits.
Apparently enough screaming went on so's they changed their collective minds - whomever they be.
YAY free!! :? :shock: 8-) ... let's see how long that lasts.
Cheers.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra