End of decade reflection, check in and gratitude to Taxi

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

robbiejhancock
Impressive
Impressive

End of decade reflection, check in and gratitude to Taxi

Post by robbiejhancock » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:18 pm

I joined Taxi back in 2013 and before that I was a full time music teacher with my own music school and live performer most weekends. I loved music and where I was but there was still something missing. After going to Nashville 3 times I was encouraged to join Taxi by a great man and hit songwriter who was VP of ASCAP at the time, none other that the late Ralph Murphy. Ralph told me about Taxi and I will be forever grateful for that. I did have a chance to thank him before he passed away.

Since joining Taxi I've had music placed in over 500 episodes of TV shows and songs placed in feature films, documentaries and commercials. I really appreciate the Taxi community so much and I am so grateful for everything that has come my way and that is on it's way to me. The last few weeks have been amazing for me and a wonderful end to the decade. I had my first placements on Netflix on a show called "Rust Valley Restorers" for the same cue on 3 different episodes. I also had a placement on the BBC on a show called "Natural World" for another cue. Both of these collabs with Shayne Green. I remember the hard work we put in to making these back in 2015 and 2016 and working from blind faith not only in ourselves but also in the Taxi system. We believed that someday they would get placed even when we weren't even writing for a library yet, and they did. If you would like to watch and listen to the music placed in these shows and others, I have links to them here www.robbiehancock.com/credits

Although these are some awesome placements, this isn't even the best part of my December! This week I also got a call from an acting agency after my morning swim (my ringer was off and it was just good timing that I happened to look at my phone, thank you universe!) and the phone displayed an LA number calling so I picked it up hoping it wasn't a telemarketer. Thank God I did!

So the acting agency said that there was an actor in town that needed a studio to do some quick turn around Voice over's for a new TV show on Nickelodeon and was I available to do it ASAP. I have to admit my first reaction was fear, and no I can't do it. So I processed all that, realized I can do it, gave myself a shake and then I said YES!

I called back and set it all up. I then went and did my research on the agency and then the actor and OMG! It was Reggie Watkins. Aside from VO work he is also on a ton of current TV shows too (This Is Us, The Rookie, Bosch, CSI, Justified etc. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2078516/) and photo https://robbiehancock.com/photos

I trusted my abilities and instincts and did my very best. The session went amazing and I was able to help Reggie meet the deadline with Nickelodeon for the show and make a new connection in the industry. yay!

I feel like everything I have learned in the past 7 years in music production all came together intensely in a 30 minute session (not to mention the 20 in the service industry too). I am proud of myself and thankful they are happy with my work. I am so thankful for the opportunity and also make a new connection with the agency. It was wonderful to also meet Reggie and his wife.

I know this is the beginning of some amazing things that are coming my way, I can feel it. Bring it on 2020, I'm ready for ya!

If you are thinking about giving up don't! Taxi works. Just keep making music every day and trust the system. Watch all back Taxi TV episodes, go to the and spend time on this forum. Remember to write, submit, forget and repeat. It works. All the best to Michael and the Taxi staff and all the taxi members for an amazing 2020! Happy new year :)

Robbie Hancock
www.robbiehancock.com
www.songstarreocrdingstudio.com
Robbie Hancock
https://robbiehancock.com
Sync or Swim Music
https://syncorswimmusic.com

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: End of decade reflection, check in and gratitude to Taxi

Post by cassmcentee » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:45 pm

Awesome Robbie!
Happy New Year

I've done VO work for Disney and it PAYS WELL!!!
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by songmaster » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:01 am

Congrats Robbie! You have come a long way in such a short time, continued success!!!

Tom

Rockinpop
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Rockinpop » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:11 pm

Congrats Robbie,

Glad to hear your life has taken such a big turn. Keep up the good work.

I haven't had anything passed on yet, but I'm not giving up. Thanks for the encouraging words.

TAXI's website is so much better now too. Ready to jump into 2020.

Bring it on,
Ron

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:06 am

Great report, Robbie! Wishing for you the best of everything in 2020!
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

ShannonM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ShannonM » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:37 pm

Congrats on your success, and thanks for sharing your story.

OldTom
Active
Active

Post by OldTom » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:25 pm

Hey Robbie,
Congratulations.
We met briefly at the 2018 Rally at the meet and greet lunch,( my wife and I were at your table ), and we met again briefly at the 2019 Rally while you were hosting one of the jam nights.
Your post is both inspirational, and well deserved. You did yourself proud on Taxi TV after the Rally.
Hard work, sacrifice, humility, and willingness to learn is but a few of the many things one has to learn to embrace the dream.
Next November I hope to have the privilege of buying you a beer.
I wish you continued success!
(You’re Canadian, right ? ) :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:00 am

Great post, and the kind words are very much appreciated Robbie. The reason TAXI has worked for you, is because YOU decided to do the work. Proud of you, grateful to have you in the TAXI family, and I have little doubt that we'll hear more cool stories coming from you in 2020.

Happy, healthy New Year!
Michael