What Genre?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

trevorsewell

What Genre?

Post by trevorsewell » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:08 pm

Hi everybody I'm a new member (well more specifically a returning member) and was wondering which genre I should classify these songs in - I'm English so sometimes there are slightly different schools of thought.

The two tracks in question are: Someday and Shadows

https://www.taxi.com/members/trevorsewell

any help gratefully appreciated

Trev
Last edited by trevorsewell on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What Genre?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:35 pm

The links don't work Trevor..they may work for you but nobody else. Try them in an incognito browser to check

As far as genres go I always think it's a strange question ( you aren't the only one to post it though ) because IMHO you should 100% KNOW what genre you are writing in or attempting to write in before you even write the first note having researched and understood how that genre works and makes it what it is. If you don't know what you've written how do you expect the Library or Music Supe to know..I think Michael said something very similar in a Taxi TV once.

Sorry for being grumpy but maybe that will help more than people saying ' it sounds a bit like X or Y "

Mark

trevorsewell

Post by trevorsewell » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:11 am

Hi Mark

Thank you for your response and I see where you are coming from but sometimes a song exists before an opportunity so I figured it was a legitimate question particularly as there are sometimes differences in how some genres are classified in different countries - this was actually intended to be a part of my research - I can't seem to see how to share a single track only my public profile which I was trying to avoid so as not to make people wade through too much clutter. I'm new here (only a few days) so am trying to make sure I classify tracks as clearly and accurately as possible - this is the link to my public profile be great if you had the time to check it out but if not, thank you for responding to my first post - I had no idea that the tracks could not be accessed by anyone else so much appreciated for that :)

The two tracks in question are: Someday and Shadows

https://www.taxi.com/members/trevorsewell

best

Trev

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:52 am

Nice tracks! For Some Day I'd say Americana/Southern Gothic. Shadows I get kind of a vintage singer/songwriter vibe ala Randy Newman.

trevorsewell

Post by trevorsewell » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:36 am

Thanks Ethan that's great as I also thought Someday was Americana just wasn't totally sure about whether Shadows was singer/songwriter - so really appreciate your view on that - really like the Randy Newman reference. I am intending to start writing specifically for the briefs as soon as I get a chance, but I've got 5 albums that I may as well use if they will fit any of the briefs too - just want to try and get the genres sorted first. Really pleased you liked the tracks and thanks again for your input - it's much appreciated :)

By the way Blacklight is sounding really good too - well done :)

Trev

nicotina
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nicotina » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:17 pm

Trev,

Nice tunes! Someday sounds a bit like blues rock, but the fiddle disqualifies it from that, and pulls it toward Americana or Celtic. But those genre's don't like bluesy electric guitar, so you have a dilemma. I don't think I ever hear that type of guitar co-existing with a fiddle, unless you go back to Charlie Daniels and Dixie Dregs and seventies southern rock.
I could be wrong- I don't listen to a lot of Americana.

The other tune I think is singer-songwriter, and is more "synch" able. I could hear that in a reflective end part of a tv show. Very pretty. And that's the real folk legend Janis Ian on that? Wow, you've got connections!

Vince

Funkyfreddy

Post by Funkyfreddy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:45 pm

Nice work Trevor!