Question about Cues (how to figure out)

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Question about Cues (how to figure out)

Post by Horacemix » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:36 pm

Hello TAXI members!
I'm back to TAXI thanks to the 2 years renewal offer.
I was reviewing the listings and I came up with a question about instrumental cues. Sometimes, a listing asks for instrumental cues but references contain vocals.
I think I have the basics of cues composing such as cues structure, edit points, layering parts, etc, but when the references have vocals I keep struggling to understand what components of the reference are most required to get a cue that fits the listing request.
I'd appreciate that anybody with experience in this field can give some advice, samples or whatever is useful!

Thank you so much in advance!
Horace

Example listing:
Lots of OLD SCHOOL HIP-HOP INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a fast-growing European Music Library that's building a new catalog and is looking for a bunch of music in this style! This client was recently referred to TAXI by another company that loves the music they're getting from our members, and we suspect they will use TAXI as their primary resource!

They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that could be found on the same playlist as:

"Jam On It” by Newcleus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEmg5GaAHbk

"Just A Friend” by Biz Markie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aofoBrFNdg

“Children's Story” by Slick Rick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjNTu8jdukA

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this pitch.

Please submit well-crafted Instrumental Cues that are reminiscent of the Hip-Hop music released in the 1980s and the early 1990s eras. Your instrumentation, productions, and sounds should be era-appropriate and sonically in the ballpark of the references above. Be sure to structure your Cues around a central melodic theme while adding and subtracting instrumentation as they progress to create dynamics, interest, and forward momentum.

TAXI Tip: Your submissions can be actual old-school Instrumental Cues, or they can be Instrumental Cues that were recently created and just inspired by those eras.

Submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Please do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ Songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Instrumental Cues you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumentals Cues as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Sunday, January 19th, 2020. TAXI # S200119SK

TAXI # S200119SK
Observation is the raw material for creation...
https://soundcloud.com/horacemix

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Question about Cues (how to figure out)

Post by ResonantTone » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Hey Horace,

Really the main goal is to just create the same vibe as the reference tracks without the vocals. Things like tempo, energy, emotion from chord structures, instrumentation, mix, and a general feel all need to be taken into consideration. There are a lot of little nuances in those details that you start figuring out as you go... but that's where taxi returns are useful, since they usually give you specific areas to focus on. Everyone gets returns, so don't see it as a failure. Look at it as a perfect spot to focus your learning and growing efforts.

Hope that helps some. Good luck! :)

Andrew

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Horacemix » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:06 am

Hi! Thank you for your advice!
So, I should focus on what's going on in the background, not trying to replace the melodic line but just to create a more chord-based piece of music, maybe some melody here and there but not as if it were vocals. Did I get it right? :D

Thank you again!
Horace

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:51 am

I use use a Refernce Track Analysis Sheet like the one below ...plus I usually import the Ref Track into my DAW..edit it into a 90 or 120 second version that makes musical sense but stays interesting and then I can use that template of where things come in and out in my own track

--snip---

Reference Track Analysis Sheet : Sigala, Ella Eyre, Meghan Trainor - Just Got Paid ft. French Montana

Instruments Used
--------------------
Guitar
Bass
Disco Strings
organ
brass stabs
brass riff
Percussion
claps
4 to the floor kick

Sound Qualities
------------------
BPM 120
Sidechaining
Funky
Disco vibe

Structure
------------
Starts with 4 bar organ chords & disc strings riff
replaced by funk guitar riff - hard panned oppsites. sidechain or gate effectcuts phrase off
white noise riser
8th note bass guitar comes in with string riff & string hits & snare/clap on each beat..kick in between ? Guitar becomes filtered
snare riser
reverse brass rise into chorus

----------
Fuller version of brass riff with bass - drums - perc ..call and response between brass & string riffs..heavy sidchaining

-----

Back to guitar & snare.perc on the 4 for 4 bars

Funky bass is added for 4 more bars with string riff...clap fill into new section

-----

New chords ( 4 bars x 2 ) ..downstroke type guitar part with drums & bass with downshifter..brass riff at end into..

Chorus again

Emotions
-----------

Fun
Happy
Party
Young
Vibrant
Dancing

csedwards

Post by csedwards » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:53 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:51 am
I use use a Refernce Track Analysis Sheet like the one below ...plus I usually import the Ref Track into my DAW..edit it into a 90 or 120 second version that
Nice sheet. Thanks for posting.

Im going to ask probably an obvious question. How do you identify the mood? I guess its hard for me because Im more analytical/logic than creative. Or a better question, how do I get better at creating a specific mood/emotion with my music? I produce mostly trap. My feedback has been that my tracks change emotion/mood when I go to new sections.

In my comparisons to stuff that has been accepted, seems like they only use one melody instrument, instead of a melody and then countermelody, but Im not sure if my assessment is accurate.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:37 am

csedwards wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:53 pm
Im going to ask probably an obvious question. How do you identify the mood? I guess its hard for me because Im more analytical/logic than creative. Or a better question, how do I get better at creating a specific mood/emotion with my music? I produce mostly trap. My feedback has been that my tracks change emotion/mood when I go to new sections.
Major Vs Minor Key - Tempo/Meter - Tone of Instruments Used - Lyrics - Visuals if there is a video can inform the mood also

The Listings usually tell you what they want " Please submit exciting Orchestral Instrumental Cues that can add an epic sense of energy and tension to a scene! "

..so from that you might deduce " Epic " means a larger more spacious sounding orchestra in a hall i.e. not a quartet in a chamber.

.." exciting " ..so it will probably be more uptempo or a slower tempo with a double time feel

.." tension " ..so it's most likely going to work better in a minor key

If your tracks are changing emotion when you go to a new section try an A-A-A-A structure where all you are doing is adding new layers but the chords stay the same. Sometimes It's easier to work backwards..make the biggest ost epic sounding section first and then move it to the end of the cue, then work backwards removing a part every 4 bars or so and see what you are left with by the start.

Mark
Last edited by cosmicdolphin on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:58 pm

An excellent way to learn how to do a certain genre is to find a karaoke version of the song on YouTube (no vocals) and then listen closely to everything that's going on. Another thing you can do is get the audio file of the song and drop it into your DAW. Line up the metronome and then recreate every part in the song in your DAW. Separate tracks for kick, snare, hats, bass, any melodies, pads, etc. Do this for the whole song, or at least two minutes worth. Copy it as perfectly as you can. Then try to mix it so it sounds as close as you can get to the original. Doing this will help you visualize the song structure, when instruments come in and out, etc. Pay close attention and you will start to find obvious and little things that change every 8 bars or so. Music analysis is incredibly helpful and educational.

Good luck!
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Horacemix » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:03 am

Hi!
Thank you! Very useful information! I'll start using your technique!
Just for the record, do you use to add a melody line to replace vocals?
Regards!

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Horacemix » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:10 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:37 am

If your tracks are changing emotion when you go to a new section try an A-A-A-A structure where all you are doing is adding new layers but the chords stay the same. Sometimes It's easier to work backwards..make the biggest ost epic sounding section first and then move it to the end of the cue, then work backwards removing a part every 4 bars or so and see what you are left with by the start.

Mark
Hi! Great advice! It's counterintuitive to think in terms of working backwards! I'll see how it works for me!
Regards!