Band In A Box

Tell us about your studio and post some photos no matter how modest or robust it is!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

NoegoStudios

Re: Band In A Box

Post by NoegoStudios » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:41 am

Tunesmith wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:33 pm
I just have to throw in that I used Band in a Box on the Atari ST in the 80's early 90's to arrange customized special occasion songs I recorded for $40 a song. I did Valentine songs, Bdays, anniversaries, etc..saved me a lot of time.

I also had clients who played live with hardware sequencers who hired me to put together their set list. Did all the arranging on the Atari with BandinBox and dumped it seamlessly into Alesis and Roland sequencers. I still have some of the Roland MC50 disks.

I never considered using it for my own song recording tho. I felt it too automated..

I forgot all about PG systems and Band in the Box till I saw this post. Glad it's still around!

Linda
Funny you basically stated the same thing I used to do. I too used it on Atari ST for backing tracks when I was gigging and for strings etc . along with my Tascam 8 track half inch reel to reel.
I honestly found for composing songs it was a bit controlling. You would never find exactly what you wanted to contribute but instead it took over your song and you ended up following it. So I used it sparingly say for drums, strings and even ran my keyboard mainly for the strings. I think its great for someone who doesn't play an instrument but is a lyricist. Helps with phrasing, etc. I even found it disturbing when a collaborater asked me to use it . I am kind of from the old school where if a song doesn't work scaled down, then you are trying to polish a turd. haha. Having said that there has been a million genres come out now that no longer follow that rule.
Microphones put you there!