Am I off mark?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sol1
Active
Active

Am I off mark?

Post by sol1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:56 pm

Thought i was on point for this one, maybe I'm biased.lol What do you think?

I submitted this - https://soundcloud.com/safetyorangesd/l ... ight-shine
to this listing - Y191217UP

UPLIFTING, INSPIRING FOLK/SINGER-SONGWRITER SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed for an (up to) $40,000, Direct-to-Ad-Agency placement in a TV Commercial for a big company.

They’re looking for a Mid-to-Up-Tempo Song in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following reference we got from them:

“Everything Is Possible Now” by Clouds and Thorns

NOTE: The Ad-Agency absolutely loves “Everything Is Possible Now” by Clouds and Thorns as an example of what could work in this Commercial. To be clear: They’re NOT looking for clones or soundalikes! Similar tempo, style, and overall vibe? Yes. Clones? No!

[highlight]It's probably the anthemic, joyful proclamation of the best of humanity that resonates with this company's brand managers and the ad agency's creative team. "Aren't we lucky to be alive and loving life?" seems to be the implied message.[/highlight]

Most of this company's Commercials have a similar vibe and message; and it's notable that while all of the music they use is "feel good" in the melodies and lyrics, some of the tunes they've used in the past do NOT have super-slick productions. They clearly go for uplifting lyrical messages and a joyful spirit. They will use Songs with somewhat stripped-down arrangements and productions if the feeling and messages are on point!

That said, they did give us the reference, so that's likely your best clue. Other Songs they gave us that fit musically, but NOT lyrically are:

“Riptide” Vance Joy

“House of Gold” by twenty one pilots

Please give them well-crafted Folk/Singer-Songwriter Songs in the inspirational, uplifting style of the references and other Songs in that ballpark. Your submissions should have solid melodies with really uplifting choruses, coupled with great vocal performances. Your productions should have primarily acoustic-based instrumentation and should be rhythmically and melodically appealing from start to finish.

Using some group/gang vocals or some non-lyrical chants (“ooohs,” “yeahs,” “heys,” “woo-hoos,” etc.) could help give your Songs a more advertising-friendly sound; however, those are not necessary to land this – just a suggestion!

LYRIC TIP: Lyrically the Songs/concepts need to express either loving others (non-romantically), helping others, camaraderie, hope, inspiration, feeling good and/or anything else along those lines. Please avoid references to specific names, dates, times, brands, and profanity in your lyrics.

Do NOT copy the referenced Songs in any way, shape, or form. Use it as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast quality is needed.

The estimated license fee is up to $40,000, depending on the ultimate use. This is a Direct-to-Ad-Agency pitch. You’ll keep all ownership of the Copyright and Master Recording, but you won’t be able to license your Song to any other TV Commercials for the duration of the term of the agreement, which will be determined by the Ad Agency and you.

You must own or control the Master and Composition rights to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All Submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis by a TAXI screener hand-picked by the Ad Agency. Short critiques only. The screener will largely be basing his decision on what his gut tells him will work well for this commercial, and feedback will be minimal. All Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Tuesday, December 17th, 2019. TAXI #Y191217UP

Screen #309 said - I returned this song because
The lyric didn't stand out enough to be right for this request

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Am I off mark?

Post by eeoo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:59 pm

I think vibe-wise you nailed it. Just guessing here but it could have been that what should be the chorus/hook part of the song seems like the most subdued part. I think if you found a way to build it up from the verses and make it climax with "let the daylight shine" it would make a bigger impression. As it is now it feels like it comes down for that part. Hope that helps! And really nice work on this, even as is I'm kinda surprised you didn't get a forward.

sol1
Active
Active

Post by sol1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:35 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I definitely hear what you're saying. Not exactly sure how to achieve it, but good food for thought. Thanks for the feed back :)

Shalee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Shalee » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:50 pm

It's screener 309. Take it with a grain of salt. I thought you're track was great.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:09 pm

Themeatcally the Clouds and Thorns lyrics seem to be about much bigger ideas. More universal, outward looking, and uplifting.

Your lyrics were ok but not strong enough to be a 40k ad pitch. I didn't feel like there was a big uplifting chorus either, like there was something missing.

Vibe wise though yes I thought it was close

Mark