You can sing into vocal pitch correcting software and export it to midi!

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: You can sing into vocal pitch correcting software and export it to midi!

Post by lesmac » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:38 am

daftdog wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:16 am
Yes, Melodyne (at least, Melodyne Studio, which I'm fortunate to have) can do this.... I use it all the time to convert sung vocal melodies or guitar melodies into MIDI data to use with a VST. The MIDI data often needs some cleaning up (usually simplifying) to make it useable but it does work....
I haven't tried this with Melodyne for a while [ 2 or 3 years] but I remember I had some issues. Do you have any tips? For example do you have to start from the beginning of a session or match up the session tempo? It was a while back and I'm a bit hazy on what the trouble was at the time. If it's just a straight forward process I may give it another shot.

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:38 am

daftdog wrote:
Yes, Melodyne (at least, Melodyne Studio, which I'm fortunate to have) can do this.... I use it all the time to convert sung vocal melodies or guitar melodies into MIDI data to use with a VST. The MIDI data often needs some cleaning up (usually simplifying) to make it useable but it does work....
I've been playing with it (and I have the pro version), one trick is to get rid off all the pitch wobble (I'm not at my studio, so I forgot the word). This gets rid of a lot of the weird stuff. I think I'll do a video on it. I also use it to clean up midi guitar if needed.

wendylanders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wendylanders » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:53 am

Hey, thanks! Let us know when you get the video posted.

I keep the same tempo and start at the beginning.

Yeah, it's got a LOT of transients, so you want to clean it up before using. Oddly enough, the virtual instrument can warble along with you. My usual problem with midi is that it's too stiff. This helps me with that. But the problem then tends to go back the other direction.

There's a happy medium in there somewhere. I've got a flute I can use that might be helpful for midi.

Best! :)

Wendy Landers

daftdog

Post by daftdog » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:15 am

lesmac wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:38 am
daftdog wrote:
I haven't tried this with Melodyne for a while [ 2 or 3 years] but I remember I had some issues. Do you have any tips? For example do you have to start from the beginning of a session or match up the session tempo? It was a while back and I'm a bit hazy on what the trouble was at the time. If it's just a straight forward process I may give it another shot.
One change that has helped with the overall Melodyne workflow recently has been the introduction of support for the ARA2 format. If your host DAW supports it, whether you are doing conventional pitch correction or eventually wanting to do audio-to-MIDI conversion, the workflow is much slicker.... I agree with the comments of others here though.... the MIDI can need some cleaning up to be useful.....
John Walden
Daft Dog Music