A Bit Disappointed.

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

louis2012
Impressive
Impressive

Re: A Bit Disappointed.

Post by louis2012 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:37 am

It always amuses me when people pride themselves on being 'direct' as if its a virtue. They push opinions as facts and as a result suffer from 'foot in mouth' syndrome and only come across as arrogant. I used to do it all too often and occasionaly still do (like my classic 'All country lyrics are shit' post! Oh God how I wish I could turn back time on that one!haha) I've seen a couple of people on this forum jump down the throat of anyone that throws criticism Taxi's way. But that is the nature of internet forums. When confronted with a forum opinion that provokes irritation, I try to walk away and reply to it a couple of hours later...its amazing how my response changes and I automatically take into consideration that person's viewpoint/feelings no matter how much I disagree. Its about respect.WTA's line 'Be at peace with all people' is excellent and not to be confused with 'hippy shit' as some people of a certain mindset might assume. It is the way of the peaceful warrior and is far more powerful than anyone who shoots their mouth off. I will throw into the mix.."I refuse to have a battle of witts with an unarmed opponent!" haha

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:51 am

Dec 18, 2008, 11:37am, louis2012 wrote:It always amuses me when people pride themselves on being 'direct' as if its a virtue. They push opinions as facts and as a result suffer from 'foot in mouth' syndrome and only come across as arrogant. I used to do it all too often and occasionally still do (like my classic 'All country lyrics are shit' post! Oh God how I wish I could turn back time on that one!haha) Personally, I've had about 20 posts in 2 years that I wish I'd never written. Such is life. I'm thicker headed than most... Quote:I've seen a couple of people on this forum jump down the throat of anyone that throws criticism Taxi's way. But that is the nature of internet forums. When confronted with a forum opinion that provokes irritation, I try to walk away and reply to it a couple of hours later...its amazing how my response changes and I automatically take into consideration that person's viewpoint/feelings no matter how much I disagree. Its about respect.I dunno if anyone else has noticed, but a lot more people have been walking away lately, just like you are...Quote:WTA's line 'Be at peace with all people' is excellent and not to be confused with 'hippy shit' as some people of a certain mindset might assume. It is the way of the peaceful warrior and is far more powerful than anyone who shoots their mouth off. I will throw into the mix.."I refuse to have a battle of witts with an unarmed opponent!" hahaI keep telling myself, I don't need to be smarter than anyone else. But that I do have the most curious and compelling reasons to learn as fast as possible, what works for me!I thought Will's idea of a Taxi band is the single most awesome idea I've ever seen expressed on this forum. Even tho Will might not like my style much, I'm not scared to throw some love his way. Because everybody matters. We don't learn shit when we all agree incessantly.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:27 am

Dec 18, 2008, 11:37am, louis2012 wrote:I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:03 am

Dec 18, 2008, 9:50am, wta wrote: I think this subject is an important one considering the light of recent events. I feel convicted by my good conscience to always be "real" when I'm communicating with people. The challenge is to keep "my" reality in check and make every effort not to offend the person or people I'm communicating with.I think that's a good balance. Here's a personal experience that still has me mystified:One of my old buddies lives back in Michigan where we went to college together. He was the best man at Debra's and my wedding.About a year ago, I posted an MP3 of a new orchestral piece I had written, and asked my closest friends/family if they'd like a CD of it. Everyone said "Yes, of course!" --- except my "buddy."He told me "No, I don't want one --- it's not my cup of tea."I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't.He explained in some poetic psycho-babble about "A tree grows new branches, and some branches grow apart" or some b.s.I was shocked and hurt. Cripes, he coulda just asked for the CD and tossed it in the trash. I never would have known. Yet he chose to offend me, for whatever reason.I haven't talked to him since. I would NEVER do that to a good friend! If that's HONESTY, he's got a lot to learn about how to treat people.Ern

weapon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weapon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:16 am

Yeah, but there is a plus side, knowing that he doesn't like your music. You know who really believes in you and who doesn't, honestly I would rather someone tell me they don't like it, it's what pushes you to be better. Course, you can't please everybody, that's just my "witless" opinion as louis2012 would have me be deemed.

weapon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weapon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:30 am

After thinking about it, Mike, I'm sorry if my post was harsh man. But I get really offended when I see people complain about Taxi, I've worked very hard to get where I am in the music world and Taxi has been a huge part of that. And I've met and spoke with the Taxi personnel and they all work very hard at making Taxi a great organization to belong to. In all honesty though, and I mean this in a non-aggressive way, this isn't the place for complaints, you should just call Taxi, trust me they'll listen and most likely act on your complaint. We're a community and as such need to protect our "neighborhood".I was going to send a PM to you about this but I thought it better to just post in public.

louis2012
Impressive
Impressive

Post by louis2012 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:35 am

Dec 18, 2008, 1:16pm, weapon wrote:Yeah, but there is a plus side, knowing that he doesn't like your music. You know who really believes in you and who doesn't, honestly I would rather someone tell me they don't like it, it's what pushes you to be better. Course, you can't please everybody, that's just my "witless" opinion as louis2012 would have me be deemed.erm...that wasn't aimed at you, I'd have mentioned your name if it was. The thread had developed into discussing forum etiquette in general.

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:35 am

Dec 18, 2008, 1:16pm, weapon wrote:Yeah, but there is a plus side, knowing that he doesn't like your music. You know who really believes in you and who doesn't, honestly I would rather someone tell me they don't like it, it's what pushes you to be better. Course, you can't please everybody, that's just my "witless" opinion as louis2012 would have me be deemed.Look at my original post and show me where I complained about Taxi liking or not liking my music.My observation was a purely an administrative thing that has caused me considerable embarrassment regarding my creditworthiness.Just for the record(pun intended) I own my house which is paid for and car which is paid for,so I don't in fact owe anybody anything.So this may explain why I don't want letters with FINAL NOTICE coming through my letter box.It would take Taxi 5 seconds to Tipex this out.I am really pleased though that this thread has turned in to a debate as to whether we should respect each other's opinions and of course my answer is yes.I have never failed to be amazed that some of the most talented people on here are also the nicest and have been very generous with their time and help both on the board and behind the scenes.
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:43 am

Dec 18, 2008, 1:30pm, weapon wrote:After thinking about it, Mike, I'm sorry if my post was harsh man. But I get really offended when I see people complain about Taxi, I've worked very hard to get where I am in the music world and Taxi has been a huge part of that. And I've met and spoke with the Taxi personnel and they all work very hard at making Taxi a great organization to belong to. In all honesty though, and I mean this in a non-aggressive way, this isn't the place for complaints, you should just call Taxi, trust me they'll listen and most likely act on your complaint. We're a community and as such need to protect our "neighborhood".I was going to send a PM to you about this but I thought it better to just post in public.Thank you I appreciate that.Unfortunately I had already posted before I read this.I agree with your thoughts on Taxi Customer Service they are second to none and I have told them that on the odd occasion I have dealt with them.Having said that I haven't heard back about this little problem!!!!
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

louis2012
Impressive
Impressive

Post by louis2012 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:44 am

Dec 18, 2008, 1:30pm, weapon wrote:After thinking about it, Mike, I'm sorry if my post was harsh man. But I get really offended when I see people complain about Taxi, I've worked very hard to get where I am in the music world and Taxi has been a huge part of that. And I've met and spoke with the Taxi personnel and they all work very hard at making Taxi a great organization to belong to. In all honesty though, and I mean this in a non-aggressive way, this isn't the place for complaints, you should just call Taxi, trust me they'll listen and most likely act on your complaint. We're a community and as such need to protect our "neighborhood".I was going to send a PM to you about this but I thought it better to just post in public.The whole point of this forum is to discuss Taxi and bounce ideas around. Who the hell wants to be part of a community that doesn't ever discuss its problems and ideas for improvement?? We all work hard and we all pay our money and therefore we all have a voice. This is not communist China. Taxi works for us, not the other way round. If you don't like this 'freedom' might I suggest staying away from threads where criticisms are discussed?