A Bit Disappointed.

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: A Bit Disappointed.

Post by mojobone » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:52 pm

As Dr. Phil is fond of saying, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm with 'Bird, on this. If opting in for automatic renewal is the default condition of a form, web or otherwise, it'll be perceived as sleazy. I don't see a reason not to have it as an option, though. The login reminder seems to me an excellent suggestion.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

flyingtadpole
Impressive
Impressive

Post by flyingtadpole » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:37 pm

Automatic renewal boxes: like Hummingbird, others of us in non-US currencies can easily get caught out on the credit cards, then have our significant other seriously upset, not to mention bank etc.On FINAL NOTICE in red blinking lights on the outside of the envelope: I think the law here is similar to the UK except folks take no notice, as generally it's only shonky operations and Nigerian Scams that use it. If ML would like some words here are some:-RENEW NOW. "Later" will be TOO late!-Read me, Don't bury me!-Taxi loves you! (well it works for CDBaby!)-Save your Whalesong!geez, could have fun with this...

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:55 pm

Thanks to everybody who has been so understanding,I do appreciate it.I have been in contact with Anthony at Taxi and he has come up with a perfect solution to my particular issues.I will of course be renewing! Having said that,I would not be in favour of automatic renewal.I think Taxi's email renewal reminders are perfectly adequate.Michael.
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:32 am

Dec 21, 2008, 9:52pm, mojobone wrote:As Dr. Phil is fond of saying, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm with 'Bird, on this. If opting in for automatic renewal is the default condition of a form, web or otherwise, it'll be perceived as sleazy. I don't see a reason not to have it as an option, though. The login reminder seems to me an excellent suggestion.My domain name provider has, as an option that the customer chooses, a "Safe Renew" or "Auto Renew" or whatever they call it. Default is always that the customer has to renew their membership manually.I'd be all for an optional "Auto Renew" that I choose as an option but I agree that having that as the default is considered to be something other than what Taxi really is.

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by allends » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:51 pm

Dec 22, 2008, 4:32am, davewalton wrote:Dec 21, 2008, 9:52pm, mojobone wrote:As Dr. Phil is fond of saying, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm with 'Bird, on this. If opting in for automatic renewal is the default condition of a form, web or otherwise, it'll be perceived as sleazy. I don't see a reason not to have it as an option, though. The login reminder seems to me an excellent suggestion.My domain name provider has, as an option that the customer chooses, a "Safe Renew" or "Auto Renew" or whatever they call it. Default is always that the customer has to renew their membership manually.Mojo and Dave got it right IMHO but my favorite alternative idea would be a free lifetime Taxi membership for everyone who registered as a member of this forum on Mar 10, 2007, 4:14pm

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:14 am

Dec 18, 2008, 7:17pm, cameron wrote:Dec 17, 2008, 7:53pm, weapon wrote:I'm plenty charming, I just don't believe in pulling punches anymore, this world would be better off if everyone wasn't so PC and just said what was on their minds.Let me guess, your e-mail address ends in aol.com?CamOh honey, this so wasn't me. I don't pull my punches eitha but at least when I poison the coffee, it's got some suga in it. Pullin' foi ya Cam and wishin' you a wonderful Christmas and a musically prosperous (as well as spiritually) New Year!

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:59 am

Dec 19, 2008, 5:06am, michael11 wrote:Firstly mojo,to put Final Notice on a letter (or for arguments sake) to have a van sitting outside your house with Debt Collector written on it is against the law in this country.It is Harassment.(Protection From Harassment Act 1997.s2 Crime And Disorder Act 1998 s 32) if your interested which I very much doubt, also I am in a position of civic responsibility and my character has to be and appear to be beyond question.Wow, I like that law.I really feel for Michael on this one. As a case in point, Saturday I received a nasty postcard from the city telling me it is "illegal" (their formatting) for me to replace my windows without going through them. It went on from there about how I should want to "avoid the expensive and unfortunate outcomes" of defying cultural preservation guidelines. Trust me; this was a financial sucker-punch to the gut. Within about 5 minutes online, I discovered that the house I've owned for 3 years (and put energy-efficient windows and solar panels and cork and bamboo flooring -- green, green, green) is in an historical preservation area and virtually everything I've saved for and done is, in their opinion, wrong. Law says the realtor was supposed to tell me and didn't, or I wouldn't have bought it.I've been through this almost 20 yrs ago with my first house and -- long story short -- my experiences as a first-time homeowner back then left me pretty traumatized. For example, I had to get the city's permission to get security bars after being broken into 2x in 6 days (yes, my modest music studio at the time was cleaned out) and despite being unable to sleep or eat and barely to report to work, I was so upset and frightened.... ANYWAY...Relevance?I work my ****ing ass off for absolutely everything that I have, and I react exactly the same way as Michael when I receive what looks like a threat. I am furious and frightened and all of it. And as for "PC" and all, well, with power comes responsibility, right? Know when force is merited. If tearing someone down would actually be constructive -- and I'll concede that sometimes it is -- then have at it. I was known for a pretty sharp tongue in my younger years and had that pride in "telling it like it is" and so on. But there comes a time for higher-level strategy -- call it scheming or call it compassion, but consider, "What is my real goal here? What do I really want from this conversation?" Once you establish that goal, silently, it's pretty likely that something besides, "You're a f*cking idiot" will come out of your mouth. The woo-woo side of it is, yeah, life is short -- how much will it cost you to just be kind? And isn't that way more impressive, and rare, to see the bigger, stronger person be kind?Ern, I bet your former friend has alienated a lot of people with his shortsightedness and artsier-than-thou-ness (I'm taking a guess that that's his deal, based on your Cage comment). I love John Cage and I sincerely respect John Williams too. Not having room in his universe for both is your ex-friend's own insecurity -- and his loss.