How to be professional and 'get over it' sectional difference

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TonySollazzo
Active
Active

How to be professional and 'get over it' sectional difference

Post by TonySollazzo » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:10 am

Hi - I'm struggling with my own prejudices and realise that I need to be more professional and 'get over it'.
In particular, I'm getting songs rejected for not enough sectional difference, and I agree that is correct, because I hate feeiling like I'm 'gluing' two songs together just so that I can adhere to the verse-Chorus-verse-Chorus-bridge-Chorus structure.
So I know the problem, and it is with me.
My quesstion is only for those who have found a way to overcome their own prejudices: how did you do it?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How to be professional and 'get over it' sectional difference

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:14 am

TonySollazzo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:10 am
My quesstion is only for those who have found a way to overcome their own prejudices: how did you do it?
Well I think you're probably over the biggest hurdle of accepting it you, not them.

I would say adopt a service oriented mindset. I'm lucky that in my day gig I'm in sales so I have had this stuff drilled into me and it applies to any business that has to provide a service or product.

The customer ( Library, Supervisor etc ) has a need. They are going to use folks who can best fulfil their needs.

Lucky for us we get told what those needs are pretty clearly most of the time. I.e Listings, Feedback etc. Sectional contrast is clearly important to them . That's high on their list of needs.

Think about times when you have been the customer. Have you ever had a Salesperson try to get you to buy something that didn't meet your needs ? Maybe you wanted a car that could fit the whole family... what if they went right ahead and showed you hatchback? It might be a great car , it might be on budget , but it's not suitable for what YOU need it for. Would you buy it?

It doesn't really matter what the salesperson likes or dislikes ( prejudices bas you say )... It's not them who will be using it for transport. Same with music or anything else.

So get out of artist mode and think more like a good service provider. Write what they say they want , it will still sound like 'you' because you wrote it. Once you get used to it you probably won't even have to think consciously about it.

Mark

TonySollazzo
Active
Active

Post by TonySollazzo » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi Mark. Thank you for replying. I read it yesterday and have been thinking about what you said. It's all very logical. I'll try to keep it in mind for next submission. Cheers. Tony.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:47 pm

TonySollazzo wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:32 pm
Hi Mark. Thank you for replying. I read it yesterday and have been thinking about what you said. It's all very logical. I'll try to keep it in mind for next submission. Cheers. Tony.
No worries Tony..I am a fairly logical person, a lot of artistic folks can be emotionally driven.

Bear in mind the customers needs will vary from customer to customer ! So it might not hold the same importance for the next song..so make sure you study the listing and the references and do what they do.

Mark