We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

TAXI # S200317NA Review?

Post by subinthompson » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:47 am

Dear all,

Just finished a track for the below listing.
https://soundcloud.com/subinthompson/by ... re/s-ValK0
Please do listen to it and let me know your thoughts.

"RELAXING" NEW AGE COMPOSERS are needed by an eclectic Independent Record Label for their next series of NEW AGE INSTRUMENTAL compilations. If the material is really strong, the Label might want to sign you as an Artist as well!

Please listen to the references below to get an idea of what might get this really cool Record Label interested:

Best Meditation Background Music

“Our Future” by Peder B. Helland

“Remedios” by William Ackerman

Give them top-notch, New Age Compositions that could be used to relax and inspire! Your arrangements can be based on organic or electronic instruments, or you can submit hybrids that use both! Think of the type of music that could be used by listeners for yoga, massage, and meditation to bring about a relaxing state of ecstasy!

NOTE: If you plan to use sampled/virtual versions of "organic" Instruments (guitars, pianos, etc.), please be sure that they sound like the real thing! Anything that’s obviously synthetic or MIDI-driven won’t work for this pitch.

We recommend submitting THREE Instrumentals per submission, so they can see if you’ve got depth in your material. Not a requirement – just a good idea!

Subin

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Re: TAXI # S200317NA Review?

Post by RPaul » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:53 pm

With the caveat that I'm really not familiar with the sort of music people use for meditation, massages, and such, I do think this sounds in the ballpark of what I recall from the references, and a quick listen doesn't suggest anything that stands out as being out of place.

The one thing I have been wondering about on this listing for myself, as I have a song I just submitted ("Painted Cave", which is on my TAXI page), that would also be applicable to your track, is that I noticed all the sample songs clocked in north of 5 minutes, one even being upwards of 8 minutes. Mine comes in at 3:28, and yours is a bit under 2 minutes. The 5+ minute lengths in all the reference tracks make me wonder if a longer length is needed for these kinds of uses. For example, maybe they don't like to have their meditation or massage interrupted by a switch of songs after a few minutes? (Of course, I'm assuming they'd have a playlist, but does the switching of songs, and any short dead space between them, feel like some kind of interruption?) I decided to go for it, but it does make me wonder.

The one thing I can say is that, in the case of the song I submitted, I'd written it for a TAXI listing a number of years back that, if I remember correctly, was looking for massage music. It did get forwarded, but I never heard anything beyond that. (I'd also submitted one other song at the same time that probably had a similar length and it got forwarded, but, again, I never heard back. That one actually had a few timing issues, though, and I haven't done anything to address those since, so I'm not going to submit it this time.)

Rick

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by subinthompson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:15 pm

RPaul wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:53 pm
With the caveat that I'm really not familiar with the sort of music people use for meditation, massages, and such, I do think this sounds in the ballpark of what I recall from the references, and a quick listen doesn't suggest anything that stands out as being out of place.

The one thing I have been wondering about on this listing for myself, as I have a song I just submitted ("Painted Cave", which is on my TAXI page), that would also be applicable to your track, is that I noticed all the sample songs clocked in north of 5 minutes, one even being upwards of 8 minutes.
Rick
Thanks for taking time to listen Rick. I wasn't quite sure as my music was a bit different from the given references.

And as for the length, I did notice that they did not specify any time limits. Do that's why I wasn't too bothered about the length.

I listened to your Painted Cave. Nice piece of music! I like it. I also listened to your other songs. They are great. Reminds me of one of my favorite bands - Bread, David Gates.

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:03 pm

subinthompson wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:15 pm
And as for the length, I did notice that they did not specify any time limits. Do that's why I wasn't too bothered about the length.
Yeah, no real clue on what the parameters are on that, but it just struck me as noteworthy that all were upwards of 5 minutes, which would be unusual, even for songs (as opposed to cues), which I'm used to being in 3-4 minutes ballpark in most commercial genres, with only rare outliers of slightly lower lengths or significantly higher lengths.
subinthompson wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:15 pm
I listened to your Painted Cave. Nice piece of music! I like it. I also listened to your other songs. They are great. Reminds me of one of my favorite bands - Bread, David Gates.
Thanks. Bread, mainly David Gates' stuff, is definitely among the bands I'd count among my influences. In the band I had back in high school we did a lot of Bread songs, and I still like to pull out some of their songs these days when context permits. Lots of other influences, too, but they were probably among the top 5-10.

Rick

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:05 pm

Lovely one, Subin.

My submission is 2:17, nowhere near to the length of the references, however, it did get forwarded for another, very similar listing, last year, so I am hoping
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

shalashaska888
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by shalashaska888 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Brings me back to the days of weekly acupuncture sessions, so I definitely think you nailed the new-age sound.

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by subinthompson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:28 pm

shalashaska888 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:38 pm
Brings me back to the days of weekly acupuncture sessions, so I definitely think you nailed the new-age sound.
There we go! That's what I want to hear :)
Hope the screeners like it too.

Subin

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by subinthompson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:42 pm

Rick, Marco,

Another thing that i noticed was, they are looking for "Composers" and not "Compositions" at the moment - Not sure how it works though.
And like Rick mentioned in an earlier reply, I would have thought, no one wants to get interrupted after two minutes if they are gonna listen to relaxing music.

I do like Peter B Helland. We sometimes use it get my 10 month old baby to sleep.

Thanks,
Subin

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:26 pm

subinthompson wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:42 pm
Another thing that i noticed was, they are looking for "Composers" and not "Compositions" at the moment - Not sure how it works though.
Yeah, that wording struck me as strange, especially when the text looks like they are looking for recordings to put on a compilation CD (but, if you've got enough good stuff of the type they like, they might also want to sign you as an artist). For my part, I'm only submitting the one song, and new age stuff isn't really my normal thing -- I just wrote that one as a challenge (and trip out of my comfort zone) for a TAXI listing back somewhere around 2011. It ended up being a fun way to try my wind controller on a different sort of instrument (I've mostly used it on sampled brass), and it did get forwarded, just nothing beyond that. We'll see about this time...

Rick

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:27 am

subinthompson wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:47 am
Dear all,

Just finished a track for the below listing.
https://soundcloud.com/subinthompson/by ... re/s-ValK0
Please do listen to it and let me know your thoughts.

Hi, I like the writing and the sounds, maybe just keep the middle part a bit longer... falls a bit short to me.

Pierre
:D Music is the Esperanto of the world. (Duke Ellington)