Hey Everyone!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JKhan

Hey Everyone!

Post by JKhan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:57 am

Just joined taxi yesterday and I'm super excited. I already submitted a song for a listing that's due tomorrow and I was just wondering what is the best way to get the most out of Txi and any tips for me that I should know?

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Hey Everyone!

Post by ResonantTone » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:18 am

Hey JKhan!

Best advice I got when I was new around here was to

1) Stay plugged in to the forums, and search through old threads. There is a ton of info on here about all kinds of things that relate to the industry.

2) Watch taxi tv, and go back and watch old episodes. Again, a ton of great info, inspiration, and strategies for new comers.

3) If at all possible, get to the taxi Road Rally this November. It’s a phenomenal opportunity to learn, network with other musicians/producers, and even sign deals on your music.

Remember that this isn’t a get rich quick thing, and that most people have to work quite a while to see any returns on their investment, but Taxi is the real deal. They’ve helped me and countless others get their music into the right hands.

Best of luck to you! :)

Andrew

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:44 pm

ResonantTone wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:18 am
Hey JKhan!

Best advice I got when I was new around here was to

1) Stay plugged in to the forums, and search through old threads. There is a ton of info on here about all kinds of things that relate to the industry.

2) Watch taxi tv, and go back and watch old episodes. Again, a ton of great info, inspiration, and strategies for new comers.

3) If at all possible, get to the taxi Road Rally this November. It’s a phenomenal opportunity to learn, network with other musicians/producers, and even sign deals on your music.

Remember that this isn’t a get rich quick thing, and that most people have to work quite a while to see any returns on their investment, but Taxi is the real deal. They’ve helped me and countless others get their music into the right hands.

Best of luck to you! :)

Andrew
Hey Jkhan!
Welcome to the forum. All I can say is follow Andrew's advice :D
All the best!
Cheers,
Matt

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:39 pm

JKhan wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:57 am
Just joined taxi yesterday and I'm super excited. I already submitted a song for a listing that's due tomorrow and I was just wondering what is the best way to get the most out of Txi and any tips for me that I should know?
Welcome..here's 10 off the top of my head

1. Don't try and fit square pegs in round holes . Write new tracks specifically for the Listings

2. Be prepared for lots of rejection, even if you are successful there's still plenty of it to go around

3. Use the Peer to Peer section in the forums, you can get some good quality feedback

4. Production skills trump musical genius in this game so make sure your production chops are up to scratch

5. Be productive , you will learn a LOT just by constantly making new tracks and continually making gradual improvements

6. Find the threads about what books to read that will help you

7. Youtube is a fantastic tool for learning almost anything including how to write and produce many styles of music

8. Focus on the process ( write - submit - forget - repeat ) and not the goal. The goal will follow if you work at the process

9. Start with your favourite genre and focus on those listings but try other things over time, you may stumble upon something you can do well that you'd never considered before

10. I am not sure what to say for number 10. Saying 'Don't Suck' sounds a bit trite...A better way of putting it might be that the difference between music that's not good enough Vs music that is might not be as big as it first seems but more of a process you have to go through to understand why some things are desirable and others are not. Sound choice, arrangement skills, understanding the way music sounds NOW Vs 10 - 20 - 30 years ago. It's constantly changing and evolving so try to keep up with what's popular now.

Good Luck

Mark

JKhan

Post by JKhan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:09 am

Thanks!

steveprobst
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by steveprobst » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:27 am

Hey JKhan!

Just read Marks post which was excellent! I think I have #10!

Go to Taxi TV on YouTube and watch whatever episode speaks to what you'd like to achieve as a Taxi member to be successful. You can also find them as a podcast. Listen in your car or wherever. Or watch them live on Mondays.
Steve Probst

===========================
Songwriter/Composer
Touring Vocalist/Guitarist
http://SteveProbst.net
https://soundcloud.com/steveprobst