We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

The Night Before Submission Mix

Post by BradGray » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Hey Passengers,

First off, thanks to so many of you who've commented and given me feedback on this submission for the past two weeks. It's helped guide and focus the track, and bring it to fruition - which is greatly appreciated!!! I don't think I've written, recorded, and rewritten so very quickly for any song. I did not even have an idea two weeks back, and after a number of rewrites, I'm pleased where it's winding up.

The following is the mix I've done for it...it's almost there, but any extra tips would be greatly appreciated. It's due tomorrow: A Better Day

With sage advise, I have been A/B'ing the tracks vs reference. I think I've got a close acoustic tone, I think close to the production of that time, but perhaps too aggressive (too much bite) on the main acoustic guitar? Also wondering if the low vocal (in verse 2) needs a different treatment, to sound more to the period.

Thanks,
Brad

It's for the taxi listing:

1960s-Style FOLK ROCK SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by an A-List Film/TV Music Publishing Company that typically gets really nice, high-end placements! These guys are thought of as being "a cut above."

They’re looking for Songs in All Tempos in the general stylistic ballpark of artists like (but not limited to) Bob Dylan, Buffalo Springfield, The Beatles (Norwegian Wood), etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the following references to get an idea of the ballpark they're searching in:

“Like a Rolling Stone” by Bob Dylan

“For What It's Worth” by Buffalo Springfield

“Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)” by The Beatles

NOTE: Recent recordings that sound retro can work for this request, but if you’ve got any original vintage pieces that actually date back to the 1960s, this company wants to hear them as well!

Please submit great Songs that authentically capture the 1960s Folk Rock sound, feel, and productions. Great melodies, ‘60s-style lyrics, and an era-appropriate vibe and performance are elements that could get this company's attention!

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: The Night Before Submission Mix

Post by eeoo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:57 am

Hey Brad - I think the instrumental track is fantastic! I still have my doubts about the vocal performance. I love the higher register of your voice but feel like the lower register is still a bit hesitant and pitchy. That said, great work on this track man, way to improve it exponentially!

EO

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:02 am

Thanks EO!

I appreciate the feedback, and hear what you mean. I was trying to sing soft and very close mic, to capture the inmate moment of the song. Hopefully, the screener may find it "perfectly imperfect" as no auto-tune was used; ensuring that vintage vibe. But hey, what can you do. In my case, practice singing, writing and tracking even more. =)

I have to say though, I've had an epiphany this week on how good we have to be to get these tracks forwarded and placed. It's really hit me, and given me a greater appreciation for all those who have been successful to date; and the effort they put in. It's definitely making me step up my game, and win or loose, will make me better in the process.

Happy Sunday!
Bee

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:15 am

Yep, for this listing you literally have to be comparable to the Beatles.

LongTimeComing

Post by LongTimeComing » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:18 pm

Or Dylan
Makes us raise the bar for our work, right?????
Rick Allen and the Long Time Coming Band