Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SamGreene
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Anthemic Instrumentals

Post by SamGreene » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:12 pm

Hi,

Submitting for this one...

ANTHEMIC, RHYTHMICALLY Driven INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a very active and fast-growing Music Licensing Company that specializes in music for big TV Commercials.

They’re searching for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the general ballpark of (but not limited to) the following examples they gave us:

INFINITI Employee of the Month (starts at 00:08) - https://youtu.be/JFXRRbEwA-E?t=8

INFINITI The New QX80 World Premiere - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukdWR_M ... e=youtu.be

Please submit well-composed, anthemic Instrumentals that would work well for TV Commercials. Your submissions should be sound current, with pro-level productions and driving beats. Your submissions can be primarily percussive, or you can include other instrumentation – just be sure your Instrumentals are rhythmically appealing and the energy is on par with the references.

HERE are my attempts at it....
https://rcrft.co/reel/GreeneMeansGo/taxi

I went for the style of the QX80 reference. Kinda bluesy black keys meets a NIN rock out section. #4 is a little different.

Anthemic2 - concerned this one is too close to the reference and I'll be kicked out of Taxi for submitting it. I recreated the reference track a week or two ago when it was on dispatch so I had all the sounds lying around.

Anthemic3 - the interlude part.... I don't know, seems like it don't fit in there. Having a hard time getting these up to the desired 2.5 to 3 minute length. Of course the reference tracks are all <:60, so what they want in that 3 minutes of music, I'm not quite sure :)

Anthemic4 - the latest one, maybe getting somewhere with this track, need to not listen to it for a few days and come back. Haven't A/Bed this one to compare the mix yet.

Thanks for any feedback, advice on which to pick/cut/focus on. Thanks!!

ilikered
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Anthemic Instrumentals

Post by ilikered » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:54 am

Hey Sam, ok here's some comments:

Anthemic 2: I think it's got the vibe right on. But second part coming in around 25 seconds seems too chill. It's hard to stretch these things out so I get it, maybe move one of the parts towards the end of the song there and replace it, just get rid of it. I think with these it's more about rearranging the parts than coming up with a change.

Anthemic 3: I like this too, I personally think it should work, it's got a good anthemic techy vibe. Any way to pump up the bigness of it? Maybe speed it up a little and get it rocking more? Seems like it's something you can do in the mixing process?

Anthemic 4: This has the right vibe as well, I think again it's getting the mix to sound bigger. For me, this has the best flow as an overall piece and I think all the parts are what they want.

For me all three should totally work but then again, and I think 4 is the strongest, but what do I know ...

-Vikas

shalashaska888
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by shalashaska888 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:01 pm

Currently working on something for this ad myself. Anthemic 2 seems pretty close to the original, as you said. Pretty much got the overall vibe right though. Anthemic 3 reminds me of M83 a little bit, sort of spacey and trancey. I like it a lot personally, but it seems too chill for something that's supposed to sound "anthemic" in my opinion. Anthemic 4 is definitely the star out of all of them, feels the most pulsing and upbeat, plus I really like the guitar riff and the tone you have going there.

SamGreene
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SamGreene » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:30 pm

ilikered wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:54 am
Hey Sam, ok here's some comments:

For me all three should totally work but then again, and I think 4 is the strongest, but what do I know ...

-Vikas
Well you have a forward off this same listing already, so you know something. Thanks for listening and the feedback, I really appreciate it!

SamGreene
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SamGreene » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:36 pm

shalashaska888 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:01 pm
Currently working on something for this ad myself. Anthemic 2 seems pretty close to the original, as you said. Pretty much got the overall vibe right though. Anthemic 3 reminds me of M83 a little bit, sort of spacey and trancey. I like it a lot personally, but it seems too chill for something that's supposed to sound "anthemic" in my opinion. Anthemic 4 is definitely the star out of all of them, feels the most pulsing and upbeat, plus I really like the guitar riff and the tone you have going there.
Right on, thanks for the close listens and feedback. Anthemic 3, I think the drums could be pumped up a bit, maybe a real snare and something else during the 'chorus' rock parts - I'll see if I have the time/energy to keep working it. Hard to focus these days!

Never listened to M83 before, but have heard mentions a few times, need to check it out.

shalashaska888
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by shalashaska888 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:09 pm

SamGreene wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:36 pm
shalashaska888 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:01 pm
Right on, thanks for the close listens and feedback. Anthemic 3, I think the drums could be pumped up a bit, maybe a real snare and something else during the 'chorus' rock parts - I'll see if I have the time/energy to keep working it. Hard to focus these days!

Never listened to M83 before, but have heard mentions a few times, need to check it out.
I highly recommend M83, you will be into him for sure based on the stuff you write.

SamGreene
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SamGreene » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:39 pm

1/3 forwarded. The 2nd was sent along. The other two 'just barely missed the cut'.

I did revise the second track to beef up the percussion and reworked the middle interlude part. You can hear in on the reel page, titled 'Platinum Rush'. Thank you for that advice!

1st was too low key / low tempo and not anthemic enough. It is actually faster than the reference track. I guess it's just that middle section, like you guys said.
2nd "Some of the slower down tempo sections could be shortened, especially for TV commercial submissions."
3rd had too long of an 'intro' and the 'virtual trumpet' at the end wasn't appreciated. "Need better sounds'. Was going for a very aggressive/synthetic sound there so whatever.

ilikered
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ilikered » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:10 pm

Yeah, the critique on the third one seems like pretty soft excuses for not forwarding but like you said, whatever. Glad to hear the 2nd one got forwarded,