Newbie- Listing for cues???

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

EnderBender

Newbie- Listing for cues???

Post by EnderBender » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:03 am

Hello there, I'm a full on newbie and I'm excited to be part of this platform. However, I do have a couple of quick questions: for listings for instrumental cues (the 90 second ones), what is the average number of cues people submit for each listing?
Also, if there are two listings that are, basically, asking for the same type of cues (or something very similar) can the same cues be submitted to both listings?
Thank you!!

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Newbie- Listing for cues???

Post by ResonantTone » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:07 pm

There really is no average. It varies a lot depending on the genre and requirements asked for. For example, an instrumental Drone cue listing might attract quite a large number of submissions, where a 90's hip-hop vocal song in Portuguese might result in 0 submissions. If you're referring to how many submissions an individual would make for a single listing, again it's just dependent on what they have available. Personally, I think the most songs I ever submitted for a single listing was 3... it could have been more, but I felt like those 3 were my strongest and there was enough variety in them to warrant submitting all 3. Remember, if someone reaches out to you after a forward, there is a strong chance that they would be interested in more music you have, even if it was never submitted through Taxi.

As far as submitting the same cues to different listings, you just have to be a little careful. Personally I wouldn't want to submit to two different requests running at the same time with the same cue, simply because I would hate for the situation to pop up where two different publishers are interested in the same song, and I have to explain to one of them that I gave it to someone else. Big caveat here though... if you submit a song, get a forward, and don't hear anything back in a relatively short amount of time (2 weeks maybe?), you should definitely be re-submitting that same song to new listings if it fits.

It's a bit of a personal decision, but the best possible thing to do is to just write more music in a similar vein in order to avoid awkward situations like that. Remember, Taxi is just the vehicle for getting you in touch with the people that you need to partner with. How you handle yourself and how well you are prepared to deal with interactions with them is solely up to you!

Hope that helps some.

Andrew

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:32 pm

I submitted a few cues to 2 different, yet very similar in nature, listings that expired on the very same day, recently, and I did that because it was clear enough that those 2 listings came from the same library. So I thought I would not leave stones unturned.

However, normally I would wait for a while before re-submitting a cue that was forwarded to another, different listing in the same vein of the original one.
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

kyliecouper
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kyliecouper » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:17 pm

By all means submit the same cue to 2 different listings. If by some wild chance both publishers wanted the same cue, you could just tell the 2nd publisher that you have already signed that cue but you would be happy to write them another one along the same lines.

In my limited experience, a publisher is not going to sign you based on one cue alone. That first cue will get you in the door, but they will also want to hear a range of your music to see if you will fit in their library, and whether you can consistently create quality music.
So if you have to write another cue for them, and you do it quickly, and professionally, then they may want to sign you even more!

And if you think your cue is great, don't wait to hear back, write a whole lot more just like it!
Then when a publisher or 2 come knocking, you will be ready with a whole collection of music to amaze them!

EnderBender

Post by EnderBender » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:46 am

Thank you for your responses! I guess what it comes down to is how you conduct yourself when cues/submissions get forwarded. I'm taking a little bit of everyone's advice on this one.