Starting Out

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Ovation67

Starting Out

Post by Ovation67 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:07 am

Hi everyone. Newbie to TAXI and sound engineering ( Newbie to that too). I was using a Zoom R16 to record and know the importance of getting the recording right in the first place but have since bought a Focusrite USB interface using a trial version of Ableton to massage the sound. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Cheers all from the Land Down Under 😁

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Starting Out

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:55 am

Ovation67 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:07 am
Hi everyone. Newbie to TAXI and sound engineering ( Newbie to that too). I was using a Zoom R16 to record and know the importance of getting the recording right in the first place but have since bought a Focusrite USB interface using a trial version of Ableton to massage the sound. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Cheers all from the Land Down Under 😁
Welcome !

Tips would depend on the type of music you want to make. Ableton is a bit more geared toward the EDM / DJ type crowd although technically you can make anything with any DAW but you may get a better workflow experience or bundled instruments / plugins if you go for one that suits the type of music you make. There are less expensive DAWs that may suit you too such as Reaper ( $60 ) or Cakewalk ( Free but PC only )

Other things I would say:

1. Use the forums
2. Watch Taxi TV
3. Read the LIstings and study the reference tracks carefully
4. Read the book ' Demystifying The Cue ' by Dean Krippheane
5. Take a course in mixing/production or read a good book like ' Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio ' by Mike Senior
5. Immerse yourself as a listener in artists and bands making contemporary music for your chosen genre
6. Write specifically for the listings
7. Write - Submit - Forget -Repeat

Mark