Just renewed on the two year plan

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Just renewed on the two year plan

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed May 06, 2020 9:37 am

sarahb wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:39 am
What I'm thinking now is this. Redo the vocals, because I do sing the song much better now, remix. I have gotten other complaints about the vocals. Not sure about the drums. HMMM.
I think that's a good a good call to get it remixed. How much of the drum issue is the recording and how much is the mix is hard to know without hearing the raw materials. Luckily a good producer can improve them by layering great sounding sample if necessary. It's done all the time to great effect.

I had a listen to the reference track ' Tedeschi Trucks Band- Hear Me' ..nice track and well produced with a more contemporary feel. I think this would be a good track to send to your re-mixer along with one or two other similar.

Listen carefully to the drums, if you can drag them both into your DAW for direct A-B comparison. Notice how you can actually hear the kick drum very clearly in Hear Me...I can hardly hear it at all in your track. Then compare the snare. Theirs is nice and full bodied with a crisp kinda thwack to it, yours sounds like someone some way back in the distance hitting a soggy box with a stick. I'm not actually sure it's tuned properly to be honest, I'm no drummer but I've mixed plenty of them but I'd certainly be reaching for my sampled snares to beef it up if it was me.

Be interested to hear it again when you've re-worked it.

Mark

sarahb

Re: Just renewed on the two year plan

Post by sarahb » Wed May 06, 2020 10:42 am

Those are really cool ideas. I can do some of that myself, I think. I'll fool around with the drums. I remember during mixing wanting to hear more kick--it got away from me!

Thank you for your generous attention. It always helpful to get a variety of opinions.

sb