Is a SHURE SM58 okay?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Is a SHURE SM58 okay?

Post by AlanHall » Tue May 05, 2020 1:01 pm

Without being too utterly hyperbolic, the SM58 was designed to be used by a performer who wraps their lips around the capsule and shouts. i.e., the SNR is good as long as the source material is very loud.

Is $100 your price range? There are several large-diaphragm condenser mics available that are acceptable for general speech and music use. Some have been touted on Taxi TV (can't remember the brands, sorry!). I've got a couple Behringer B-1 mics that haven't given me any problems. If you have a decent mic pre - with phantom power - your choices for mic selection increase exponentially. And that's no hyperbole :)

edit: For a radio announcer voice, you need to be close enough to the mic for the 'proximity effect' to be audible. An actual radio mic, like an RE-20, works withing a foot or so. The SM-58 is designed to minimize the effect as much as possible because of the usage mentioned above: actually being on the mic for performance. So less bass boost on that mic compared to others.

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Wed May 06, 2020 3:07 am

Hey Cwtf,

The SM58 is a industry standard for a very long time. Many people love it, but I think it depends on the application and the person using it. Personally, I'm not fond of mine, as I find the output is low (unless the source is loud) and very mid-range focus. The gain is lower (to my ears) than other dynamic mics. You can correct this by running a little pre-amp in front of it such as an ART MP or cloud lifter, and then into your interface for more gain. This would allow the input volume of your interface preamp to be set lower, which may help with the noise.

As far as the other noise and boomy notes:
- With your mic so close to your PC, you are more likely to pick up electrical noise from your PC, as well as get reflections of your monitor, and windows. This will affect the sound.
- The boxy sound is called proximity effect. The closer your mouth is to the grille, the more low end you will get. The SM58's will really emphasise this. Back off the mic a little, even 2-3 inches, for a different sound. In addition, try to move the mic further away from the computer; reflections are likely affecting the sound.

Other recommendations:
1) Alan is right with the comment on the broadcast mic. RE-20 and the SM-7b are two very popular ones for those applications. I've read the SM-7b has an extremely low gain to it, and the majority of users put a preamp in front of it like I've mentioned above.
2) A decent LDC condenser will go a long way. I actually like the Blue Spark Blue Spark and think it's very good for the price point.
3) For other dynamic mics, Sennheiser has some great mics that are a bit more balanced than the Shure 58's; around the same price point.

Good luck!
B

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed May 06, 2020 3:18 am

I've used many mics in all price ranges over the years.

As the guys mention above the Electrovoice RE-20 is great for many applications if you want a slightly larger than life sound, I used it way back in the 90s recording some demos. It's actually a dynamic mic but it doesn't sound like a typical one.

SM-58's are great for gigging with , the pronounced midrange boost helps singers cut through and they are tough as old boots.

You might be better off with a RODE-NT1 or something of that ilk

Of course we spoke about your audio interface so if you haven't upgraded from your onboard audio to something with a decent mic-pre then everything is gonna sound like crap anyway.

My own mic is an AT 4040 which I find to be a good all rounder without being crazy expensive.

You also need a little acoustic treatment generally ..hang some duvets behind you to kill reflections etc. or buy a reflexion filter

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 am

SM58 is a fine mic. But the problems (noise+boxy sound) you encounter could be due to 1) that you use a dynamic mic without using a good preamp. I have a/b’ed an SM58 and a SM7b through a Focusrite Isa One and preferred the SM58. So the problem is your gain stage here. The mic gets noisy probably because you have to max the gain on your soundcard. You can reduce that noise by adding a cloudlifter or external preamp to your chain. The boxyness is probably due to the glass behind you, which is a highly reflective material for sound. You can reduce the boxyness by having a bookshelf and/or a heavy blanket or baffle behind you when recording. The 58 is a cardioid mic, which means it picks up sound in front of the mic and not much behind it, so a reflection filter wont help much. Make sure you have something massive close behind you, as the mic will pick up the empty space behind you if you have nothing (which is what you hear as boxy).

A condenser mic may help with the noise, as they have preamps build into them, and thus dont require as much gain from the recording device. If you dont have a soundcard or pre, you may go with a usb version (a Rode nt1a may be fine, especially if you dont have too bright a voice). It will not solve the boxyness issue, unless you (still) put something behind you that absorbes sound when you record, so that you will need either way.
Ceo of my own life

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Wed May 06, 2020 3:57 pm

I would try....

Get your lips right on the mic. Have it pointing at your tonsils if you still have them, not at the ceiling like an ice cream.

EQ to taste.

Failing that look for a podcasting mic, I'm sure they will be all over google.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed May 06, 2020 4:16 pm

Kolstad wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 am
If you dont have a soundcard or pre, you may go with a usb version
Last I heard Tom was still using the computers onboard audio despite me banging on to him about getting a proper audio interface. :roll:

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Wed May 06, 2020 6:09 pm

Hi Tom,
Yeah..what the guys said already ..Shure 58 is a dynamic voval mic better suited for live performance, it is better to invest in a cardioid condenser mic so it picks up the sound of what ever it is in front of it, I don't know your budget but some good ones for the money are Rhode NT1, Rhode NT5, AKG 414 and checkout some of the Audio-Thecnica AT2020 mics for around $100.00 and many more.

Good luck.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu May 07, 2020 10:25 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:16 pm
Kolstad wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 am
If you dont have a soundcard or pre, you may go with a usb version
Last I heard Tom was still using the computers onboard audio despite me banging on to him about getting a proper audio interface. :roll:
Yeah, thats one thing that wont work.
Ceo of my own life

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat May 09, 2020 11:44 pm

CTWF wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:02 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:16 pm
Kolstad wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:25 am
Yeah, thats one thing that wont work.
What I don't understand is why the ASIO would make my USB mikrophone work better? I never had any issue with it skipping or so. The issue is the level and sonic situation of my recording, not anything electronic as far as I can see.

Now, the fact that my DAW crashes all the time if I don't split projects in thirds, that I very well see as related to the soundcard... :o :)
Well, if you get forwards and placements with what you do, I guess its fine.

For me, an external soundcard is important for the audio to digital conversion and digital to audio conversion of signals. If I get better resolution audio, I can do more in mixing, and I can make better desicions when I can hear details in the audio better.

Modern music is very high resolution, so a good soundcard is really important. Its the centerpiece of my home studio, but I guess everyone is different and there is a million ways to do it. The results are what matter.
Ceo of my own life

GBall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by GBall » Thu May 21, 2020 9:01 pm

Two things for what ever it is worth: - I''m not sure the boxy sound is a proximity effect but a room sound. I have the sound of my wife's office or other small room, especially if its of the near cube dimensions that a lot of small bedrooms are in my mind as I say that. (9x10 or something). Proximity effect I would describe as sounding more bassy that boxy. It could be exactly what you say, but If its room sound then a better condenser could actually sound worse...

Secondly to reply to the Asio / sound card question: Built in sound card have filters to cut off both low and high frequencies. Think ear buds in its frequency response - no matter the quality of your headphones or monitors. Because you can't hear them, its very easy to mix a song with shrill highs that would make the paint peel, or bass that the most die hard fan with a thumper in the trunk can't stand. Or... no bass or highs at all, because you know, you have no way of knowing.

Okay, I'm leaving now so you can talk bad about me.