How to find other cues to compare levels?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cconfident

How to find other cues to compare levels?

Post by cconfident » Tue May 05, 2020 6:46 pm

Hey y'all! I got 3 returns that were good, but apparently too low on the master volume. The volume was fine to me on my system, but I also didn't want to make them the normal loud because they are supposed to be in the background and not distract from dialogue, etc...

https://www.taxi.com/members/ERTcd-UaSA ... xqLqkTqjZw

In case the link doesn't work, I've copied and pasted below

"What I like most about this song - It sounds creepy and ominous.

I think you could improve this song by: These have the same problem. They are just too low in volume to be presented professionally.

I returned or forwarded this song because:

You are good at the composition end of things, Clifton. I'd advise you to boost your master levels a little bit before submitting again. Take a listen to some other people's drone masters at a fixed volume, and compare their levels to your levels at the same volume."

So, my approach to make it lower so it is more subtle and reduce the risk of the screener saying something was too loud backfired... and knowledge that the end user could turn the volume UP if they needed to... but how do I go about finding what others have submitted for this (listing AND IN GENERAL) and - more desirable, how do I find what cues got forwarded to compare their masters to mine?

Please advise, thanks!
Clifton

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How to find other cues to compare levels?

Post by cassmcentee » Tue May 05, 2020 6:55 pm

Clifton, Make them as loud as you can without distorting or heavy clipping
The editors can always turn them down
The library can tell you to turn it down (but not often)
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

cconfident

Post by cconfident » Tue May 05, 2020 7:13 pm

cassmcentee wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:55 pm
Clifton, Make them as loud as you can without distorting or heavy clipping
The editors can always turn them down
The library can tell you to turn it down (but not often)
can we do a "thumbs up" emoticon? :)

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Wed May 06, 2020 6:05 am

Plus, you can find most stuff which gets forwarded here:

https://blog.taxi.com/forward/

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed May 06, 2020 1:30 pm

In addition to what Cass wrote - which is totally true, and Zaychi posting the forwards blog which is an excellent resource, you have to examine how your piece of music / sound design fits into the entire production.

1) An editor is going to be auditioning 10s or maybe 100s of cues to find something that fits.

2) Music that is produced to about the same relative loudness to the ear (which you might find is in the -14 dB RMS to -10 dB RMS level) is going to sound like pro tracks. The editor doesn't have to spin their volume knob up or down to hear the music. They can just keep going till they find the tempo and vibe they want.

3) While MOST music is turned down substantially in volume when it is placed in a production ESPECIALLY under dialogue, there are some times when the music has to take the forefront. Although the editors and music editors can "master" or limit something to make it louder unless its the perfect song they are likely going to find something else that works and is less trouble.

4) Master level / Limiting your productions first, and then turning down your productions to the level that you hear under dialogue and critically listening (using the volume knob on your monitoring system) is going to give you two vital things - the first knowing that your finished piece is competitively loud and the second knowing that the mix balance of your piece is great and everything can be heard when its placed that low.

In your piece - I hear some super low sub in there which if it were me I would likely trim out.

All you need to get it "competitively loud" is to find similar pro tracks, and after that just have a meter that you trust.

If you are looking for more sources to A/B against, Google for big production music libraries and find similar genres. Its quite informative.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed May 06, 2020 1:44 pm

cconfident wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:46 pm
I also didn't want to make them the normal loud because they are supposed to be in the background and not distract from dialogue, etc...
That's not how it works. Make it as loud as you can , they will control the volume in the final TV mix

cconfident

Post by cconfident » Tue May 12, 2020 7:49 pm

Thank you @andygabrys, @zaychi, Cass and @cosmicdolphin! Most helpful and appreciated!!! :)