Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SamGreene
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

New Batch of Pandemic Instrumentals

Post by SamGreene » Sat May 16, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi,

https://rcrft.co/reel/GreeneMeansGo/taxi_immunology

I had written few of these for a prior dispatch listing and work got so crazy I missed the deadline. Please offer feedback on the 'Virology' titled tracks.

I don't think they are spot on with the two reference tracks - if anything they learn toward the 'Plague Inc' track and the electronic with some strings. I did spend some time watching some pandemic documentaries and letting that inform some of the style. Did a few with building endings as I spotted a few of that style. Need to shorten up Virology-2 as it is 2:11. Virology 1.2 leans more toward the Cliff Martinez reference. Probably going to get rid of #4 or need more work on the strings section in the middle to tame them down.

Thanks,
Sam

TAXI # S200523SF
A whole bunch of Sci-Fi, Lab-Style TENSION INSTRUMENTALS and/or Cues are needed for “pandemic projects” by a successful Music Library with tons of Film and TV placements.

This company is proactively stocking up for the onslaught of TV shows, feature films, documentaries, and cable news specials being written now and going into production when the “all clear” (or mostly clear) sounds. As you might imagine, there will be a boatload of these projects coming up, and that means this company will need a hefty stash of music to satisfy the demand.

Please listen to the following references to get in the general stylistic ballpark of what they’re looking for:

"Bat and Pig" by Cliff Martinez

Plague Inc Evolved

If you really, really want to be at the top of your game, watch all these movies and TV shows, and take notes when your hear music! It will help pass the time while you’re cooped up, and you’ll be a pandemic-music-making genius when you’re done! Seriously, do it now, and tell your family to leave you alone because you’re “working,” lol!

Please submit well-crafted Sci-Fi, Lab-Style Tension Instrumentals and/or Cues that would work well in scenes where scientists in white lab coats are working ‘round-the-clock looking into microscopes and Petri dishes trying to come up with a world-saving vaccine. We’re not going to tell you how to compose these, but you might try experimenting with a very subtle (soft, muted, no top-end) percussive, mildly arpeggiated approach and some pulsing synths. Add some unsettling tension, and voila!

You’d be smart to stick to a singular motif throughout. Your goal is not to score the film or show. They’ve already got somebody to do that. Your job is to create music that editors can fly into a scene, and it works well because it doesn’t go through the changes that a score likely would!

Submissions should be about 90 Seconds long, give or take. Non-faded endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

SamGreene
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: New Batch of Pandemic Instrumentals

Post by SamGreene » Thu May 21, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi,
Any feedback on these? No response so either they are great or not so great? Or maybe just asking too much with a list of 5+ cues?

Thinking of submitting about 6 of these tracks to hopefully get a few through and make an impression.

Think this is the ‘short list’
Virology - all except #3
Immunology 2 and 8

Thanks,
Sam

Jason912

Post by Jason912 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:13 pm

I love the first one! #6. The bass synth on the 8ths sounds like a human heartbeat a lil with the arpeggio synth square wave in the miss sounds like cells working then I hear this breathy flute start on the tonic then fall like it’s the begin of life of the corona virus! Good stuff. You really build this theme well.

SamGreene
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SamGreene » Fri May 22, 2020 5:51 pm

Thanks for the review Jason. I just retitled all of them and made a few remaining tweaks.
That one is now called 'Commence Infection Simulation'. Aligns well with your comment I think!

https://rcrft.co/reel/GreeneMeansGo/taxi_immunology

ITBAudio
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ITBAudio » Sat May 23, 2020 8:34 am

Studying the Enemy is great, spot on with the vibe on that one.

Commence Infection Simulation also sounding nice, pulsating bass synth works well.

Great work overall!

anthonytop40
Impressive
Impressive

Post by anthonytop40 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:42 am

I really like C.I.S, Studying The Enemy....

I personally am struggling with this listing because with my own track - I question if it has too little strings or does it need more ? does Sci-Fi have any..?? two completely different reference tracks were given.

I then end up spending hours previewing synth sounds/arps. I really like your sounds too. Well thought out.
We're All Riders On This Train

SamGreene
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SamGreene » Mon May 25, 2020 10:58 am

Thanks for the listens guys - I put in a good 4 week to these track and perhaps had 20 total to choose from, so I had a few that didn't work out! I agree on the reference tracks - I read more into the listing description and tried to follow that after heading down the wrong path quite a few times. Finally using the formula in the listing resulted in some things that seem like they may work. For me, that was 0 or 1 chord changes. Less melody and more patterns. Sparse slowly evolving string beds - If I have any success with this wouldn't mind having one of the spitfire 'evolution' Kontakt sample sets for some more varied string sounds. And yes, I feel your pain previewing sounds! It can be mind numbing at times. I've used output analog strings on a lot of these, they fortunately have a tagged browser interface to make that less painful. In other genres an approach I take on that is to just go with some 'vanilla' sounds while I am roughing things out to keep the momentum going and the composition moving forward, then come back later and refine the sounds. But this stuff is so sound design driven, you can base the entire piece off an interesting patch so it can slow things down when finding those few key patches.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Mon May 25, 2020 7:21 pm

anthonytop40 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:42 am
I personally am struggling with this listing because with my own track - I question if it has too little strings or does it need more ? does Sci-Fi have any..?? two completely different reference tracks were given.
My personal conspiracy theory... when in doubt, match the vibe of the FIRST ref track.

if for no other reason than it cuts my workload in half, or more :lol:

anthonytop40
Impressive
Impressive

Post by anthonytop40 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:57 am

Output A-Strings sounds great in your mix - sometimes these other Orchestral libraries can require a degree just to understand them (and to extract the best from them).
Last edited by anthonytop40 on Tue May 26, 2020 3:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

anthonytop40
Impressive
Impressive

Post by anthonytop40 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:06 am

AlanHall wrote:My personal conspiracy theory... when in doubt, match the vibe of the FIRST ref track.

if for no other reason than it cuts my workload in half, or more :lol:

Sounds like a plan :idea:
Last edited by anthonytop40 on Tue May 26, 2020 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.