A certain listing question..instumental??

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

A certain listing question..instumental??

Post by gitanosoy » Fri May 22, 2020 3:58 pm

Hi All,
For this listing as it doesn't mention that it is for a certain film or TV show and it mentions "well crafted" composition...just curious if we can actually let loose and write a composition with melody, solo section without holding back, write as if you were writing for your own ALBUM or still keep it simple with not too many notes flying by in the solo section as per reference tracks in this listing.

THANKS

Several TRADITIONAL SPANISH FLAMENCO GUITAR INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a U.K. Music Licensing Company with GREAT Worldwide Distribution and lots of awesome placements in Film and TV.

NOTE: We recently ran this request as a TAXI Dispatch Listing (#D200506SF) but the company wants to hear MORE material! If you submitted to listing #D200506SF, please send in different material this time around.

They’re looking for a bunch of Instrumentals in All Tempos that are in the general stylistic wheelhouse of these examples:

"Rio Ancho" by Paco De Lucia

"Barrio Negro" by Tomatito

"Tres Puñales" by Enrique Montoya

"Peteneras del Cafe de Chinitas" by Carlos Montoya

Although some of the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this pitch.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This Company has a high bar and they tend to gravitate towards music that “sounds like releasable commercial Songs” rather than material that sounds like it came from a "typical music library." Also, this company is only interested in signing material from composers who have worked for libraries and licensing companies in the past and understand how standard deals work. If you don't have that experience and you don't know the drill on typical deals, then they politely ask that you don't submit to this request.

Please submit well-composed Flamenco Guitar pieces with great musicianship and an authentic sound and style. Craft your Instrumentals around a central melodic motif and mood that’s cohesive throughout. Your arrangements can range from solo guitar performances to a fuller, traditional Spanish-style band accompaniments with castanets, cajon, and palmas. Please stick to traditional instrumentation, and steer clear of anything that sounds stiff, MIDI-driven, or unnatural.

NOTE: We don’t recommend using virtual guitars for this pitch, unless you are extremely masterful and your virtual instruments sound indistinguishable from the real thing!

Your submissions should be 90 seconds to 2 minutes in length, give or take. Non-faded endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: A certain listing question..instumental??

Post by AlanHall » Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:58 pm
IMPORTANT NOTE: This Company has a high bar and they tend to gravitate towards music that “sounds like releasable commercial Songs” rather than material that sounds like it came from a "typical music library."
Sounds to me like they want to hear your primo material 8-)

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:35 am

I had the same thought about this listing. I'm not really a flamenco guitarist, but when this listing came out I grabbed a nylon string and sat down with voice memos and came up with some cool ideas that were maybe in the Al DiMeola direction. I moved apartments this past month and have been busy with that and I don't know if I'll have time to get my track recorded and finished for the deadline, but I'm hoping I can. This is one cool listing where I really want to see what other people come up with.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:29 am

Ted wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:35 am
I had the same thought about this listing. I'm not really a flamenco guitarist, but when this listing came out I grabbed a nylon string and sat down with voice memos and came up with some cool ideas that were maybe in the Al DiMeola direction. I moved apartments this past month and have been busy with that and I don't know if I'll have time to get my track recorded and finished for the deadline, but I'm hoping I can. This is one cool listing where I really want to see what other people come up with.
Hi Ted,

Yeah..I was in shock when I saw this..jumping up and down is more like it..so far I have done 5 compositions with 3 of them just being solo guitar...since there is no limit I am going to bombard this listing..lol :lol: ...I am curious to to hear other taxi members submissions or how many submissions they received....and also what the screener has to say as it is not an easy genre to understand and comment on...I mean the PURE flamenco music...I hope there will be more of this but let's be honest this is the first of this kind I have seen in the last 3 years.

I hope you finish you track and submit in time.

Ole' !!!!

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:34 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:29 am
Ted wrote:
Hi Ted,

Yeah..I was in shock when I saw this..jumping up and down is more like it..so far I have done 5 compositions with 3 of them just being solo guitar...since there is no limit I am going to bombard this listing..lol :lol: ...I am curious to to hear other taxi members submissions or how many submissions they received....and also what the screener has to say as it is not an easy genre to understand and comment on...I mean the PURE flamenco music...I hope there will be more of this but let's be honest this is the first of this kind I have seen in the last 3 years.

Ole' !!!!
That is awesome. I want to hear what you've got. Sounds to me like you're more versed on the real authentic stuff. I'm kind of a faker. I cannot play fingerstyle. This past month I had been growing my middle and ring fingernails on my right hand because I was working on hybrid picking on electric. For my composition I was using a pick (blasphemy I know) mostly but also some fingernail articulations where I could pull them off.

But... I finally had to clip my fingernails short again... For the first few weeks of growing them it felt so weird and gross. Then I sorta got used to it. But then I tried to play keyboard/piano and those nails felt like they were being dragged on a blackboard.

I had so much stuff to move... the whole time I kept thinking about getting my studio set up again so I could record the flamenco track for this listing--and then last weekend as soon as I fired up my DAW I found out about the Spitfire Audio/HBO Westworld scoring competition and I had to drop everything else and see if I could get something done and entered. Well, I holed up for four days straight and got it done and entered. I'm very happy with the result.

It's always a thrill when you see a listing that just falls into your artistic wheelhouse.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:50 pm

Ted wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:34 pm
gitanosoy wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:29 am
Ted wrote:
Hi Ted,

Ole' !!!!
That is awesome. I want to hear what you've got. Sounds to me like you're more versed on the real authentic stuff. I'm kind of a faker. I cannot play fingerstyle. This past month I had been growing my middle and ring fingernails on my right hand because I was working on hybrid picking on electric. For my composition I was using a pick (blasphemy I know) mostly but also some fingernail articulations where I could pull them off.

But... I finally had to clip my fingernails short again... For the first few weeks of growing them it felt so weird and gross. Then I sorta got used to it. But then I tried to play keyboard/piano and those nails felt like they were being dragged on a blackboard.

I had so much stuff to move... the whole time I kept thinking about getting my studio set up again so I could record the flamenco track for this listing--and then last weekend as soon as I fired up my DAW I found out about the Spitfire Audio/HBO Westworld scoring competition and I had to drop everything else and see if I could get something done and entered. Well, I holed up for four days straight and got it done and entered. I'm very happy with the result.

It's always a thrill when you see a listing that just falls into your artistic wheelhouse.
Hi Ted,
Yes....my nickname "gitanosoy" is actually true so it is in my blood... luckily from my mother's gypsy side genetically my nails are tough and don't break easily..don't have to put glue , lacquer or anything like most people do and learning to live with longer nails and doing other activities of life is getting use to it..I started with classical music playing piano from 6-11 years old but gave it up for guitar. I play with a pick as well when I am playing jazz, rock..e.t.c with my electric guitars but mostly fingers on the nylon..yes I agree trying to play piano it for sure is a little harder but I guess it is a sacrifice for me and guitar wins. The nails shouldn't be that long any way for flamenco..just a little longer than past the tip of your fingers except the pinky one is longer as it is the shortest finger...in classical guitar picking you have longer nails as it is totally different picking style than flamenco.

Good luck with Westworld scoring competition.

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:21 pm

Gitanosoy, that's very interesting what you wrote about the different nail lengths for different styles. I didn't know that. I listened to some of your tracks on your page-- really good stuff man!

I'm not gonna make the flamenco deadline... but it's OK. It happens. I was so busy with other stuff. This morning I decided to work on this track anyway and go into GuitarPro and actually compose it. Before I had like 5 different improvised sloppy versions of the same song in my voice memos but when I tried to go into my DAW and play the song it just didn't gel like it did when I was improvising it before. But on the upside, I now have a lot of it input into GuitarPro and I can work on it for my own enjoyment and when I do get it done it's gonna be fantastic and I'll post it so you can hear it.

That's the great thing about this place sometimes is that a listing will give you an impetus to work on something you otherwise may not have done and you never even submit the track but you still wind up with something good that you otherwise wouldn't have had.

Hope you get some forwards! :)

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:18 pm

Thanks for the compliment Ted....yeah I don't put everything on soundcloud..looking forward to hearing your stuff.

Best of luck