New Computer/Studio Set Up - Advice Needed

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

monteem

New Computer/Studio Set Up - Advice Needed

Post by monteem » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi Guys, new to the Taxi Family, Hi everyone!

I was looking for some advice on how to set up my new computer, I had a really old mac laptop that wouldn’t let me upgrade to newer software and needed better specs. I recently got a new MacBook pro 16, and have been using Logic ProX. I have not set up the computer yet, but wanted to see the best wa.

I was thinking for the 1tb MacBook pro to just run the applications from the laptop

I bought a 500gb Samsung SSD - Thinking to use this for the sound libraries, drum samples, etc.

And I have a 2tb backup drive - HDD - thinking to use this for the time machine back ups. To do the backups when needed.

Not sure if this is the best approach. From everything I've read this seemed good, but not sure what is best, I could be off in my approach. Any advice is appreciated.Thanks guys!

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: New Computer/Studio Set Up - Advice Needed

Post by ResonantTone » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:12 pm

Sounds like a solid approach! The SSD is better suited for the sample library type stuff since it's faster.

I'm basically using the exact same type of setup with my MBP.

Andrew

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:30 am

monteem wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:35 pm
Hi Guys, new to the Taxi Family, Hi everyone!

I was looking for some advice on how to set up my new computer, I had a really old mac laptop that wouldn’t let me upgrade to newer software and needed better specs. I recently got a new MacBook pro 16, and have been using Logic ProX. I have not set up the computer yet, but wanted to see the best wa.

I was thinking for the 1tb MacBook pro to just run the applications from the laptop

I bought a 500gb Samsung SSD - Thinking to use this for the sound libraries, drum samples, etc.

And I have a 2tb backup drive - HDD - thinking to use this for the time machine back ups. To do the backups when needed.

Not sure if this is the best approach. From everything I've read this seemed good, but not sure what is best, I could be off in my approach. Any advice is appreciated.Thanks guys!
Hi,
What about an audio interface? You didn't mention any or did I miss reading it.

monteem

Post by monteem » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:26 am

Hey thanks for the replies guys! As far as an audio interface, I have a Roland Quad Capture for my old macbook pro.

Now I am not sure which way to go. I do record vocals, I sing and also rap. I also may need to get a new mic possibly. It's been very interesting with the lockdowns, I had all my stuff in storage and had to move. My old audio interface is still in storage as well as my Blue Bluebird mic.

I can also purchase new equipment or get all that shipped to me. Any suggestions, if what I have will suffice? Or just upgrade and move to the new stuff?

I was taking a look at a few new mics under $500. I saw the AKG C214, looks cool, or the Rode NT1-A but not sure if it's much of a difference then the bluebird?

Here's a link to the audio interface (It is usb2.0)
https://proflixsales.com/ua-55.html?gcl ... 7_EALw_wcB

Here's a link to the mic I have
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... microphone

Thanks again guys!!!