How to find the right library for your music

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kazaraki
Active
Active

How to find the right library for your music

Post by kazaraki » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:55 pm

Hi,

I have an album of ambient hip hop which I guess could also be labeled suspense, emo or melodic hip hop. It's basically medium tempo, kind of sad and chill with elements of trap but without the ominous tension.

I'm not sure what kind of tv shows this could be good for and therefore, not sure which libraries to pitch it to. Is there a quick way to find out what genres of music are used for what tv shows without having to watch every show and listen to its music?

I should also mention that I made this album based on the taxi listings and had used their references to try to create a mood consistent through all the tracks.

Thanks!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How to find the right library for your music

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:22 pm

I guess you could go on your PRO website, look at cue sheets if that facility is available and see if you can tell by the titles which are the sad ones and then search on Google armed with the info, it's a lot of detective work though.

Probably the best way is to probably keep an eye on the listings, and see if any reference tracks are like your cues so you know the Library wants what you have. If it gets a forward and they get in touch they'll want more so you'd be in a good position if you have a full album of licensable material that they need. A lot of libraries don't seem to want 1 or 2 tracks now.

Lots of shows using Hip Hop , although medium tempo sad sounding kinda music is less used generally because most reality shows are more more upbeat and that's where a lot of this music ends up. You do get the odd scene where a sad vibe is needed though in some shows.

I have had a couple of sad sounding Future Bass tracks in KUWTK but I wrote them to the listing / brief specifically rather than writing them to my own muse and then trying to find a home for them. Good Luck !

Mark

kazaraki
Active
Active

Re: How to find the right library for your music

Post by kazaraki » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:42 am

Thanks for the input!

I agree with you, it seems that the hip hop music used is generally more uptempo and high energy but I'll hold onto these and see if they might fit an upcoming taxi listing.

Yeah I wrote these for a taxi listing that asked for suspense but to me the taxi references given for that listing also sound like the their emo hip hop listings, so I basically just combined the tracks I made for both of those genres into one album which I think of as chill/sad/melancholy hip hop.

Kaz