Post by riffsthatrule » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:08 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:16 pm
riffsthatrule wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:22 pm
gitanosoy wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:16 am
Hi Jason,
So far out of all the mics I own the NT5 for the money is my go to for recording my Flamenco guitar and yes the pair makes a difference in capturing the sound depending on your room, for me I the best sound for my liking is having them both about 18 inches away one facing the body and the other to the neck, however I have done recording as well with just one...the SM81 is great too, I don't own one but have done sessions in studios that SM81 was used and I loved it..it depends also if you are going through a pre -amp or not..this is how you end up with a lot of mics..lol..gotta buy them to try them...my next one is going to be the EARTHWERKS sr20..lots of classical and flamenco guitar recordings are recorded with this mic.
Thanks Andre!

I’m really leaning towards a pair of those NT5s now. The price is definitely right and I’m just about to dive into micing things up as to not only rely on plugins so I feel that’s probably a good place to start. I don’t currently have any external mic pres so I’d just be going straight into my interface for now but I totally agree, gotta buy ‘em to try ‘em haha. I’m curious to hear how you like the SR20 after you pick it up!

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Looking For Acoustic Guitar Mic/Mics

Post by gitanosoy » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:16 pm

riffsthatrule wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:08 pm
gitanosoy wrote:
riffsthatrule wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi Jason,
So far out of all the mics I own the NT5 for the money is my go to for recording my Flamenco guitar and yes the pair makes a difference in capturing the sound depending on your room, for me I the best sound for my liking is having them both about 18 inches away one facing the body and the other to the neck, however I have done recording as well with just one...the SM81 is great too, I don't own one but have done sessions in studios that SM81 was used and I loved it..it depends also if you are going through a pre -amp or not..this is how you end up with a lot of mics..lol..gotta buy them to try them...my next one is going to be the EARTHWERKS sr20..lots of classical and flamenco guitar recordings are recorded with this mic.
Thanks Andre!

I’m really leaning towards a pair of those NT5s now. The price is definitely right and I’m just about to dive into micing things up as to not only rely on plugins so I feel that’s probably a good place to start. I don’t currently have any external mic pres so I’d just be going straight into my interface for now but I totally agree, gotta buy ‘em to try ‘em haha. I’m curious to hear how you like the SR20 after you pick it up!
Hi Jason,
Good choice with the NT5..you can't go wrong..yeah it becomes an obsession after a while trying to get the best sound...been at it for 25 years but I have learnt that first it starts from the instrument. The SR20 is gonna be a while until things get back to normal but I will keep you posted when it happens.

good luck..if you have anymore questions you can DM me.

Andre

riffsthatrule
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by riffsthatrule » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:23 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:16 pm
riffsthatrule wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:08 pm
gitanosoy wrote:

Thanks Andre!

Hi Jason,
Good choice with the NT5..you can't go wrong..yeah it becomes an obsession after a while trying to get the best sound...been at it for 25 years but I have learnt that first it starts from the instrument. The SR20 is gonna be a while until things get back to normal but I will keep you posted when it happens.

good luck..if you have anymore questions you can DM me.

Andre
Haha I hear you. I’ve been obsessed and I haven’t even jumped on my first mic yet lol. I totally trust your 25 years of experience and will go with your recommendation. I really believe the majority of the tone is in the player/hands but having great mics can and will really bring out all of that goodness even more so! Cool man, thank you! I’ll DM you and keep you posted.

Jason

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:54 pm

I like a pair of pencil condensers in the usual bridge/neck stereo configuration. Sometimes I prefer an XY pair overhead, if the space is quiet enough and the floor is hardwood. Neumann KM184s are the cadillac of the category, but I've gotten great results with Gauge, SE Electronics and Lauten Audio pencil condensers; anything not too hyped in the trebles. My latest discovery is the CAD CM217; I found a matched pair for $52, shipped; stubby little guys are great on drum overheads, too.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

kitbenz51
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kitbenz51 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:28 pm

Pair of KM184s. Can't go wrong. Either XY, ORTF or the "acoustic guitar" method. So smooth. So nice.

Krakoukask
Active
Active

Post by Krakoukask » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:30 am

I used to record with an AKG B4000C (good all rounder condenser mic that doesn't break the bank). Almost around 30-40 cm from the guitar pointing towards the neck joint (you'll have to experiment to see what type of sound you are looking for).

Here's a 9 year old example of how this sounded:
https://soundcloud.com/karimabisaleh/fire-and-wood
It was recorded in an untreated room.

Going up towards the next will give you a brighter sound, and down towards the bridge will give you a "rounder" sound.

Lately I record using an SM81 i/o the AKG; sometimes both.
You can use 2 or 3 mics depending on the desired effect. But I had the desired sound with just an SM81.

Lastly, always experiment with doubling and "pick choice" if you use a pick since they make a huge difference.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:50 am

Hi Jason,
Another vote for the Rode NT5 from me. The Shure SM81 was also on my wish list, but a cheap used NT5 turned up first. The sound is certainly good enough for my acoustic guitar recordings, especially when lots of other factors, such as guitar, strings, pick, playing position, player, room and mic position, can all have a major influences on the end result. Its small size and low weight make it easy to reposition even on a light boom stand, and the sensitivity versus off-axis rejection seems particularly good, which helps reduce the ambient noise in my recordings. No doubt its not the only mic to exhibit these features but its worth a try,
Good luck with your search.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.