Copyright questions

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Excalibur909

Copyright questions

Post by Excalibur909 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:21 am

A couple questions. If a song is copyrighted in a group of songs(compilation), would it need to be re-copyrighted individually if it was getting published? Next question.
The current wait time for a turnaround on receiving the copyright paper is up to 6 months or longer(it was only a few weeks back in the 90's). Any way to speed that up? How do they do it in the professional biz? Does everyone have to wait months and months?
It all started in a sleepy little seaside Florida town. Small studio apt, cheap second hand guitar, and some kid with a crazy dream.....

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Copyright questions

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:59 am

Excalibur909 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:21 am
A couple questions. If a song is copyrighted in a group of songs(compilation), would it need to be re-copyrighted individually if it was getting published?
No. A work doesn't need to be formally registered for copyright at all. It has no bearing on it getting published as you own the copyright from the moment you put it down on paper / hard drive / tape ...whatever ( tangible form )

Formally registering the copyright is not necessary in the music library world. If it makes you feel more secure then go ahead and do it here in the UK for example there is no formal copyright registration process.
Excalibur909 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:21 am
How do they do it in the professional biz? Does everyone have to wait months and months?
I suspect most of them don't bother. As I said in certain other countries it's not even an option and we all get by. US copyright protection isn't world wide either so it's kind of a moot point.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:35 am

Just a note to say I believe the final registration is dated the day you submitted it, so as long as you have that record (screen shots, confirmation email, credit card receipt etc) you have it.

When submitting songs as a collection I suggest you ensure that each song is named
IE Joe Doe Song Collection May 2020: 1-Doey Eye'd, 2-Joe's Blues, 3-Love you Deer

and,
what CD said.

Caveat - I am not a lawyer these are just my somewhat informed opinions
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Excalibur909

Post by Excalibur909 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:13 pm

hummingbird wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:35 am
Just a note to say I believe the final registration is dated the day you submitted it, so as long as you have that record (screen shots, confirmation email, credit card receipt etc) you have it.

When submitting songs as a collection I suggest you ensure that each song is named
IE Joe Doe Song Collection May 2020: 1-Doey Eye'd, 2-Joe's Blues, 3-Love you Deer

and,
what CD said.

Caveat - I am not a lawyer these are just my somewhat informed opinions
OK. not all my songs are not individually named in a compilation. Seems I would need to copyright them individually. But again.
How do they do it on a professional level? Bass player comes in with the breakout song. And then the whole CD is put on hold until the copyright is official from DC? 6 months maybe? Or do they go ahead, the publisher/studio says RECORD IT NOW!
It all started in a sleepy little seaside Florida town. Small studio apt, cheap second hand guitar, and some kid with a crazy dream.....

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:10 pm

As I said, if you filed for copyright, as long as you have a record of your submission, you have a copyright date.

Just remember, everything you write is copyright from the moment you put it in tangible form.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Excalibur909

Post by Excalibur909 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:57 am

hummingbird wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:10 pm
As I said, if you filed for copyright, as long as you have a record of your submission, you have a copyright date.

Just remember, everything you write is copyright from the moment you put it in tangible form.
Yes, that's what I was getting at, and answers my question. The copyright is recorded when it is filed, not when one receives the copyright #.
For anyone who's interested, the direct link for online registration is here:

https://www.copyright.gov/registration/ ... index.html

It's $65 per individual song/lyric, which ain't too bad. Turn around is about 4 months. And there is a tutorial to guide you.