Question for anyone who has actually received compensation for their Cue(s)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Question for anyone who has actually received compensation for their Cue(s)

Post by johndalenow » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:08 am

Please elaborate on how a "developmental arc" and "edit points" can exist within the same Cue, since edit points obviously bring to a halt any forward development when listening to a track. Thanks in advance for your clarification. Best! John Dale

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Question for anyone who has actually received compensation for their Cue(s)

Post by funsongs » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:19 pm

Though not an area of expertise of mine, this TAXI TV episode might provide for you an example and info:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5vBBMWdTdA

hope that helps.
Cheers,
Peter
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:42 pm

"Edit points" do not (necessarily) equal silence. They provide an opportunity for a music editor to chop the track at a certain point. It could be returning to the tonic for a chord before repeating the A section. It could be a definitive beat on the drum before going into a B section. It could be placing an extra bar of 2/4 or 4/4 strategically, a bar that features a specific sound design element as a transition between sections.

HTH
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:46 pm

hummingbird wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:42 pm
"Edit points" do not (necessarily) equal silence. They provide an opportunity for a music editor to chop the track at a certain point. It could be returning to the tonic for a chord before repeating the A section. It could be a definitive beat on the drum before going into a B section. It could be placing an extra bar of 2/4 or 4/4 strategically, a bar that features a specific sound design element as a transition between sections.

HTH
Sorry, I seem to not be communicating very well today. My question was not what IS an edit point, but rather how can it exist simultaneously with a developmental arc in progress which requires continuous forward movement? But thanks for the review of what an edit point can be. I appreciate your taking the time to respond. Best! JD

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:50 pm

One does not negate the other.

Developmental Arc..i.e track starts out sparse, introduces more elements as it progresses and then finishes in some sort of crescendo. Doesn't mean it can't have a little pause/beat between sections and still build.

Also don't think an edit point HAS to be a pause in the music, it might just be a place where an obvious edit can be made as it transitions from one section to another. Here is an example of a placement I had where I split the cue into 3 " acts " and it got quite long use, think it was about a minute or so and they did actually use it to build the action as I intended.

https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/wa ... eard-on-tv

So Act 1 is up to around 37s ...sort of a call response thing so it's reasonable sparse at that point

Little riser build it up around 38s to Act 2 so this is a point where an editor could have spliced it.

Act 2 Brings the drums in more fully , adds some power chord guitars so it's building..it's got more going on than Act 1

Another riser builds it up to around 1.15 where the 2nd edit point is

Act 3 at 1.17 adds more textural stuff and the vocal chants so there is more going on than Acts 1 & 2 now but it's mainly the vocal chants that you notice and some high choir type stuff

Then the big finish at the end..I think they kept that iirc...they still only used about half of the cue but I think they got through all the gears it moves through.

Don't think of edit points as a momentum killing pause - think of it as getting to the end of a section and then taking a deep breath ready to come back even stronger. Sectional contrast will also help make edit points easier as will transition stunts.

Hope that Helps...my 2c

Mark

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:51 pm

JDM wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:46 pm
hummingbird wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:42 pm

HTH
Sorry, I seem to not be communicating very well today. My question was not what IS an edit point, but rather how can it exist simultaneously with a developmental arc in progress which requires continuous forward movement? But thanks for the review of what an edit point can be. I appreciate your taking the time to respond. Best! JD
That was the question I was attempting to answer. An edit point doesn't have to stop forward development - in fact, silence often will, so it's figuring out what sound(s) to use that will keep things moving while providing an opportunity for the editor to end the track.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:03 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:50 pm
One does not negate the other.

Developmental Arc..i.e track starts out sparse, introduces more elements as it progresses and then finishes in some sort of crescendo. Doesn't mean it can't have a little pause/beat between sections and still build.

Also don't think an edit point HAS to be a pause in the music, it might just be a place where an obvious edit can be made as it transitions from one section to another. Here is an example of a placement I had where I split the cue into 3 " acts " and it got quite long use, think it was about a minute or so and they did actually use it to build the action as I intended.

https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/wa ... eard-on-tv

So Act 1 is up to around 37s ...sort of a call response thing so it's reasonable sparse at that point

Little riser build it up around 38s to Act 2 so this is a point where an editor could have spliced it.

Act 2 Brings the drums in more fully , adds some power chord guitars so it's building..it's got more going on than Act 1

Another riser builds it up to around 1.15 where the 2nd edit point is

Act 3 at 1.17 adds more textural stuff and the vocal chants so there is more going on than Acts 1 & 2 now but it's mainly the vocal chants that you notice and some high choir type stuff

Then the big finish at the end..I think they kept that iirc...they still only used about half of the cue but I think they got through all the gears it moves through.

Don't think of edit points as a momentum killing pause - think of it as getting to the end of a section and then taking a deep breath ready to come back even stronger. Sectional contrast will also help make edit points easier as will transition stunts.

Hope that Helps...my 2c

Mark
Perfect! I understand the process much better, thanks to your detailed and clear explanation. Best! JD. (Loved your Cue, BTW.)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:17 pm

JDM wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:03 pm
Perfect! I understand the process much better, thanks to your detailed and clear explanation. Best! JD. (Loved your Cue, BTW.)
Cool, glad that helped..thanks for the listen

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:36 pm

Mark Finally got to hear one of your tracks. Awesome for sure and the emotion felt is instantaneous. Love where it comes alive at the 40 sec mark. big congrats
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613