Online presence for composer / producers

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Rolf
Impressive
Impressive

Online presence for composer / producers

Post by Rolf » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:26 am

Hi everybody,
I'm new to Taxi (six weeks) and I've read the FAQs and watched some Taxi shows from the YouTube archive. Meanwhile I've sent in 9 compositions. I wonder how I should organize my online presence. I understand that's maybe not the best idea to have all your stuff online ( I don't speak about monetizing Platforms. ) But maybe it's good to have examples of your work on YouTube or SoundCloud or on your own website with the waveform and info about the music and yourself. How do you handle that in a way that don't minimize the chances to get a deal?

Thanks for your help

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Online presence for composer / producers

Post by hummingbird » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:04 am

I recommend having your own website with perhaps one or two (non monetized) items on youtube that show off your flair, your style & directs people back to your website. Be sure to use your own photo or video, or something that is in the public domain for that. Your own website should be clean and easy to read, give your 'elevator pitch', feature some samples of your work (excerpts or full tracks) and perhaps a little more about you in terms of your musical background and credits (if any). I use Bandzoogle. Having your own domain is, imo, more professional looking.

Lest you think it doesn't matter... once I wrote to an entity to ask permission to submit samples of my work. My website addy was in my signature. They wrote back with a deal, because they'd gone to my website and heard my work.

HTH

PS - welcome!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Rolf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Rolf » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:24 am

Great, thanks so much. :D

GPDoc
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by GPDoc » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:54 pm

Hi Rolf, I am also trying to figure out how to create an online presence. Hummingbird, the short time I've been here (like a week or so) seems like you are always there with helpful advice. I think your suggestions here are spot on. Took a look at your link to your site, impressive, it seem like a helpful example of what to do. (I am trying to put one together now on WIX) If I ever get it done........we'll see.