Timing query

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Juliaviolinista

Timing query

Post by Juliaviolinista » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:33 am

Hi all!

I’m new to Taxi and just wondering how strict they are on timings for submissions? I.e if the listing says 3-4 minutes give or take, is it ok to submit less than that? It also asks for the most relevant part on the arrangement and some of these don’t last very long!

If they want longer will they come back to you and request more or will they just scrap it?!

Thank you in advance!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Timing query

Post by hummingbird » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:25 am

sorry for the double post. Sometimes I hit 'quote' instead of 'edit'... *needs coffee*
Last edited by hummingbird on Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:25 am

Juliaviolinista wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:33 am
Hi all!

I’m new to Taxi and just wondering how strict they are on timings for submissions? I.e if the listing says 3-4 minutes give or take, is it ok to submit less than that? It also asks for the most relevant part on the arrangement and some of these don’t last very long!

If they want longer will they come back to you and request more or will they just scrap it?!

Thank you in advance!
If they say "give or take" I think 15 secs either way is probably ok. However, if they say specifically 90 seconds or 2 minutes I compose as close to that as possible. A 5 second overage is probably alright but I have been told, on listings where the time is a specific length, that my piece was too long. It wasn't the only reason for a return (off genre), but why give them an excuse.

If they (meaning the screeners) want longer, they will just return it. They aren't going to forward something that doesn't fit the bill. TAXI doesn't offer a rewrite system, except that when you are given reasons for a return, you can take that info and rewrite the track or use the info when creating something new... and submit again for a different listing.

HTH
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:08 am

Juliaviolinista wrote:
Hi all!

Thank you in advance!
One thing that is absolutely certain is not to go below the indicated timing. That is particularly true for 90 sec/2 min cues. Main reason is, it gives the music editors less freedom to cut the music to the visuals. Of course there may be exceptions, but generally going below is not going to be good.
As others have pointed out, going over by a few seconds is ok.
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

Juliaviolinista

Post by Juliaviolinista » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:32 am

CTWF wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:02 am
Juliaviolinista wrote:
Hi all!

Thank you in advance!
Hi Julia

My guess is your question relates to "Several INSTRUMENTAL COVERS of CLASSICAL-Era PUBLIC DOMAIN PIECES" (# S200716CL).

I would definitely not go below 2:45 in this case, and I would try to really be between 3:00 and 4:00, because it is nice to have a range already anyway (rather than the restriction of, say, exact 2:00).

While the most recognizable phrases in a classical piece may not be very long, they often are at the beginning, maybe that is the most important part? I would stay with the original and just make sure that the section I use starts fairly close to a very recognizable part of it, if that makes sense.

That's how I interpret your question and the listing (without any real experience in that field). I fear if your submission is just too short, it will be a return and that is it. If you however get a forward with a 2:55 piece and a library loves it, comes back to you and asks you to make it 5:00, then why not? :)

Tom
Thank you, Tom! Yes this all makes sense, really appreciate the thorough response :)

Juliaviolinista

Post by Juliaviolinista » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:34 am

hummingbird wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:25 am
Juliaviolinista wrote:
Hi all!

Thank you in advance!
If they say "give or take" I think 15 secs either way is probably ok. However, if they say specifically 90 seconds or 2 minutes I compose as close to that as possible. A 5 second overage is probably alright but I have been told, on listings where the time is a specific length, that my piece was too long. It wasn't the only reason for a return (off genre), but why give them an excuse.

If they (meaning the screeners) want longer, they will just return it. They aren't going to forward something that doesn't fit the bill. TAXI doesn't offer a rewrite system, except that when you are given reasons for a return, you can take that info and rewrite the track or use the info when creating something new... and submit again for a different listing.

HTH
Thank you , Vikki, yes that makes sense. As it's my first submission i'm not sure what the boundaries and allowances are! I'll learn i'm sure!

Thanks for the help

Juliaviolinista

Post by Juliaviolinista » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:35 am

superkons wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:08 am
Juliaviolinista wrote:
Hi all!

Thank you in advance!
One thing that is absolutely certain is not to go below the indicated timing. That is particularly true for 90 sec/2 min cues. Main reason is, it gives the music editors less freedom to cut the music to the visuals. Of course there may be exceptions, but generally going below is not going to be good.
Thank you, Marco, appreciate the advice!

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:04 pm

Juliaviolinista wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:35 am
superkons wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:08 am
Juliaviolinista wrote:
Hi all!

Thank you in advance!
Thank you, Marco, appreciate the advice!
Pleasure :)
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello