Creating Titles

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

levicadle

Creating Titles

Post by levicadle » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:33 am

Hi all! I’m pretty new to TAXI, and I’m really enjoying tackling the learning curve that comes with this type of work. As I do with all things, I get really caught up in smaller details that may or may not be significant, as I have done most recently when working on a few Instrumental Cue submissions.
Could anyone lend some insight into how to properly title instrumental cues? What makes it most convenient for the screeners/clients? I know that having a long title probably isn’t the way to go. Is it more appropriate to actually come up with a “Name” for it, or is it better to list it as something like, “Rock Cue - 120 BPM”?
Something in between? Thank you all a ton!

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Creating Titles

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:59 am

You simply MUST have a good, catchy title. One that sums up the emotion / mood / spirit of the piece in just a few words. No music library would ever release a piece of music into the world with the title "Rock Cue - 120 BPM".... they would change this title themselves, or be so scared away from the obvious "newbie factor" red flags that they may not even sign it at all.

~~Matt

levicadle

Post by levicadle » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:14 am

Awesome, thanks so much for the feedback! That sort of reaction is the exact opposite of what we want. I wasn’t sure if it would be more appropriate to come up with a name, or just bland and informational. You helped me a ton. Thanks again!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:58 pm

levicadle wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:14 am
Awesome, thanks so much for the feedback! That sort of reaction is the exact opposite of what we want. I wasn’t sure if it would be more appropriate to come up with a name, or just bland and informational. You helped me a ton. Thanks again!
I have a sheet on the wall that I printed out from somewhere....It's been there a few years so I can't recall where I stole it but it says :-

1. Make in memorable
2. Show ( don't tell ) specficic action
3 Convey clear emotion
4. Create a tease