A Memory of Tuscany - Mix?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

A Memory of Tuscany - Mix?

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:14 pm

"A Memory Of Tuscany" is one of the cues I've been working on for the following listing. Does the mix seem in balance? Thanks in advance for listening and commenting.

https://soundcloud.com/user-155785959/a ... LtiIyNu62e

Several TRADITIONAL ITALIAN-Style INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Music Licensing Company that specializes in music for content creators as well as TV Shows and Film projects!

NOTE: We recently ran this request as a TAXI Dispatch Listing (#D200528AN), but the company wants to hear MORE material! They want to build a nice stash of this genre. If you submitted to listing #D200528AN, please send different material this time around.

They’re searching for Instrumentals (and/or Cues) in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the references below:

Italian Medley (Miscuglio Italiano)

Beautiful Italian Music - Town of Italy

Espresso Bar Italia by Trabant 33

Please submit authentic-sounding Instrumentals and/or Cues that quickly transport viewers/listeners to a variety of locations in Italy. This request is all about setting the mood and location, so send pieces that could serve as an accompaniment to documentaries or travel-related shows based around Italian culture. Think of the type of music that would play as a travel host tastes some of the most exquisite Italian dishes, or strolls through the countryside.

NOTE: Instrumentation including (but not limited to): clarinet, accordion, violin, and mandolin would all work well. Your arrangements can range from simple, solo pieces, all the way up to ensembles of various sizes. Just be sure to stick with one central motif and mood from beginning to end.

Your submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-Faded endings will work best for this request. Do NOT copy the referenced acts or Songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast quality is needed.

This Company offers both EXCLUSIVE and NON-EXCLUSIVE deals. The specific deal points will be handled on a case-by-case basis. If you’re inclined to sign an Exclusive deal, please don’t submit material that’s already signed with other libraries or publishers for this pitch. You must own or control your Master and Composition to submit to this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumentals and/or Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, July 22nd, 2020. TAXI # S200722TL
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: A Memory of Tuscany - Mix?

Post by Zaychi » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:53 pm

There seem to be "holes" in the accordeon... like he stops playing at the end of each bar for half a second, then rejoins. A real Italian accordeonist would fill the entire space, I think.

Maybe you also need to look at the violin... this is like a concert hall player, but a band like this would more likely have a fiddler... yeah I know, tough sample to find, but this one seems way too professional for this purpose!

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:32 pm

Zaychi wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:53 pm
There seem to be "holes" in the accordeon... like he stops playing at the end of each bar for half a second, then rejoins. A real Italian accordeonist would fill the entire space, I think.

Maybe you also need to look at the violin... this is like a concert hall player, but a band like this would more likely have a fiddler... yeah I know, tough sample to find, but this one seems way too professional for this purpose!
Thanks for writing. Its back to the drawing board.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:57 pm

Hey Lamar!
Re: The Mix
The Mandolin could use a bit of a cut in the low HZs, it thumps my ears a bit
The Mando is also so far in front that the mix doesn't feel balanced
Bring up the left side squeezebox as it's pretty hidden
The right side Sqeezebox has a bit of a "Flute" airy-ness to it in the Mid-Range notes
Made me think it was a peruvian flute until I heard some notes strung together and the character came alive
It is also a bit too far back
2 centavos
Cheers!
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:18 pm

cassmcentee wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:57 pm
Hey Lamar!
Re: The Mix
The Mandolin could use a bit of a cut in the low HZs, it thumps my ears a bit
The Mando is also so far in front that the mix doesn't feel balanced
Bring up the left side squeezebox as it's pretty hidden
The right side Sqeezebox has a bit of a "Flute" airy-ness to it in the Mid-Range notes
Made me think it was a peruvian flute until I heard some notes strung together and the character came alive
It is also a bit too far back
2 centavos
Cheers!
Cass
Thanks, Cass! As a side note, the mandolin is the Evolution Mandolin library from Orange Tree Samples. This was my first outing with it and am happy with the initial results.

https://www.orangetreesamples.com/produ ... n-mandolin

As for the Accordions, I'm still searching for an accordion library that checks all of the boxes. Pun intended! Right now, Accordions 2 seems to be the best option.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:47 am

Agreed with Zaychi and Cass...and the mandolin is too stiff sounding.

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:17 am

gitanosoy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:47 am
Agreed with Zaychi and Cass...and the mandolin is too stiff sounding.
Thanks for listening and writing. I'm just starting to work with the Mandolin library,. I'm sure that I'll get better with it over time.
Onward and upward!
Lamar