We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

NAHWEH
Active
Active

Droney-y type instrumentals

Post by NAHWEH » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:25 am

Hi Everyone,
This Link is my attempt at the "drone-y" type request.
Am I on the money or is there something I haven't achieved?
I've probably gone more in the direction of "The Abyss" from the references.
https://soundcloud.com/heisnahweh/sets/ ... XZxJAbC176

AMBIENT, DRONE-Y UNDERSCORE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a European Music Licensing Company with a really impressive list of placements in Film, TV, and Commercials!

Please submit “drone-y” Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

“Perihelion” by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

“The Abyss” by Ager Sonus (From 0:00 - 3:12)

Please send subtle Instrumental Cues with very little melodic movement. Your Cues should have a consistent droning-quality that conveys an unsettling, moody feeling. Be sure to stick to a singular vibe and sound throughout each entire Cue to keep your pieces cohesive from beginning to end. Instrumental Cues incorporating some pulsing bass notes, light drumbeats, pulsing pads, or any combination of those elements could potentially work, but remember, less is more. Simplicity and mood are the keys to this request.

TAXI TIP: Please make sure your electronic elements/sounds can compete with the best-sounding Cues that are out there. Material that has poor or dated-sounding Virtual Instruments won’t work well for this request.

All submissions should be about 1:30 in length, give or take. Non-Faded Endings with a natural decay/ring out will likely work best. Do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

# S200723AD

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Droney-y type instrumentals

Post by superkons » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:23 am

I love the crescendo. Perhaps you could make your ending more defined, without that extra bit after the climax
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

NAHWEH
Active
Active

Post by NAHWEH » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:40 pm

superkons wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:23 am
I love the crescendo. Perhaps you could make your ending more defined, without that extra bit after the climax
I thought so too. I was trying to find a mid ground between Non faded endings but still have a natural ring.
I will continue to play with them before submitting

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jazzstan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:29 pm

The listing mentions "ambient." I've had returns for missing one key word in a listing, so maybe I'm a bit gun-shy now.
While your stuff is very interesting - are they TOO interesting for the "ambient" criteria?
I went back and listened again - with my volume turned way way down, so maybe they're a bit closer than I got in my first listen.
For "optimistic" and "watery" - really nice work, but if I were submitting, I would add a bit of low-pitch stuff (to hit the "drone" mark) and take out about half of the top-end ear candy. But that's just me.

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mwb2 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:00 am

I listened to a few and think they sound really nice. Agree that the first cue needs to end sooner. One thing I thought was that the slow build/crescendo sounded cool but might give the first cue too much of a Tension feel for Ambient (though probably way too slow for a real "Tension" cue) - however probably best to let the screener decide that :)

Cheers,
Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2
instagram.com/mikekrishton

NAHWEH
Active
Active

Post by NAHWEH » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:47 pm

jazzstan wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:29 pm
The listing mentions "ambient." I've had returns for missing one key word in a listing, so maybe I'm a bit gun-shy now.
While your stuff is very interesting - are they TOO interesting for the "ambient" criteria?
I went back and listened again - with my volume turned way way down, so maybe they're a bit closer than I got in my first listen.
For "optimistic" and "watery" - really nice work, but if I were submitting, I would add a bit of low-pitch stuff (to hit the "drone" mark) and take out about half of the top-end ear candy. But that's just me.
I totally agree with the optimistic and watery ones. I have since altered them to fit the meditation/relaxation music listing.
I think these 2 tracks are more in that category than a drone.

NAHWEH
Active
Active

Post by NAHWEH » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:49 pm

mwb2 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:00 am
I listened to a few and think they sound really nice. Agree that the first cue needs to end sooner. One thing I thought was that the slow build/crescendo sounded cool but might give the first cue too much of a Tension feel for Ambient (though probably way too slow for a real "Tension" cue) - however probably best to let the screener decide that :)

Cheers,
Mike
I am still feeling my way through the definitions of genres and feels.
I've heard some "drone" tracks which to me aren't drones at all.
And I've had some rejected in the past because they are too close to sound design and too far from musical.
It will be interesting to see if any of the tracks land well.

SamGreene
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SamGreene » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:22 pm

Low Scratchy - I think it needs more development before the :60 mark. Not much happening aside from some kind of minor timbral changes to the single voice. Reference tracks start evolving or adding sounds quickly.