Getting Deals for Instrumental Cues

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jcamitie

Getting Deals for Instrumental Cues

Post by jcamitie » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 am

I have a question for members who have gotten placements in music libraries for instrumental cues. If you see several listings that you would be good at but are wondering where to focus your energies (and limited time), do you think it would be better to submit a single track to each of four or five different listings or 4 or 5 tracks to a single listing? The reason I ask is I've heard that libraries tend to like working with composers who can provide a bunch of tracks. But at the same time focusing all your energies on one listing might be putting all your eggs in one basket, especially when you don't know who the owner of that basket is. I'm not talking about just getting forwards but once forwarded, getting a deal. Are there any members who have gotten deals for a single instrumental cue that was forwarded? Or do you find that the companies need to hear several cues from you that they like before approaching you?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Getting Deals for Instrumental Cues

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:04 pm

That's a really good question. I have been on a tight budget, and submitting 5 cues to one listing == about $35 for me. I'd recommend submitting your 2 best tracks to each listing (especially if you have a budget, like me), possibly 3. They should be able to tell if you know what you're doing in two or three tracks. It's when they (hopefully) contact you after a forward that you might have the opportunity to say 'yes, I have those tracks available and 10 more just like them, shall I send you some links?'

HTH
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

markparr

Post by markparr » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:18 am

Hi,

I have submitted mainly one track to a brief unless I have sat and written multiple tracks specifically for that brief. Through a number of single track forwards I have signed 3 Publishing deals. One Publisher received two forwards from Taxi but from different briefs. This resulted in them asking me to write two albums for them. One album in the genre of each track forwarded.

I think that single submissions are fine but multi's are great as long as you have hit the brief 'spot on' with all of your submissions.

I hope that helps :)

Mark

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:17 am

All my Library deals came from single track submissions. To be fair I wouldn't often submit multiple tracks, just make one cue as best I could. I don't think any of the multi cue submission ever lead to anything even if they got forwarded.

Mark

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:47 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:17 am
All my Library deals came from single track submissions. To be fair I wouldn't often submit multiple tracks, just make one cue as best I could. I don't think any of the multi cue submission ever lead to anything even if they got forwarded.

Mark
Both work. I have written multiple tracks that have gotten signed as a group.

OTOH 3 bad tracks returned doesn't carry as much weight as one track that gets a forward.

jcamitie

Post by jcamitie » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:53 pm

Awesome - sounds like it's fine to submit more than one track but I don't need to worry about submitting only one song if that's all I have time for or if I want to work on other listings too. I appreciate all the great responses!