exclusive vs non exclusive listings

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

GPDoc
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

exclusive vs non exclusive listings

Post by GPDoc » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:16 am

I presume that there may be some occasions when a writer would have the opportunity to choose between a non exclusive and an exclusive listing for the same song, (perhaps an unrealistic assumption?) If so, what would be the likely best reasons for either choice? Off the top of my head, non exclusive would allow you freedom to continue to sell the song over again, which sounds good. Are exclusive listings likely to have increased up front money to offset the value of repeatable marketing options? Any other considerations?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: exclusive vs non exclusive listings

Post by hummingbird » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:44 pm

the payout from both deals is likely the same, however, high end libraries tend to be exclusive. best to have eggs in both camps
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:55 pm

If you click on the 3 bars just to the Left of the Forums tab you will find the SEARCH tool
Paste your question and you will find multiple discussions re:
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:16 am

There is no single cut answer to this. Sometimes exclusives allow you to sell the song elsewhere, as long as its not with another library/ publisher. Sometimes exclusive means for a year or three, but not in perpetuity. There arent many non-exclusives, so I tend to like those, as there are no upfront money with many exclusives anyway, anymore. I can deal well with the business end myself, without all the restrictions.

But mostly its about a deal is better than no deal, and you can push forward with more new music. Think portfolio, like you need a variety of outlets, because there is a high risk that most wont make you anything. Pareto’s principle will apply, so about 20% of your music will make you 80% of the revenue. Just dont never know what those 20% tracks will be.
Ceo of my own life

GPDoc
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by GPDoc » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 am

Cool, Everybody, thanks. Starting to get a basic feel for how things work. Now, just need to get some stuff out there, and see what happens. Have a good day.