with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:01 am

Last edited by crashgates on Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Harrison Console - MixBus v6 (DAW)

Post by LamarPecorino » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:04 pm

gabgar wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:05 pm
Wow,
I picked this up for $49

Check back at this link, it'll probably go back to $49
https://harrisonconsoles.lpages.co/mixb ... sh_bundle/

This is really pretty cool and runs on both Windows and Mac.

Supports VST and Audio Units.

They have a 32c version but that's like $350
Glad that you were able to pick it up at the reduced price. There is a training series on Mixbus 6 available on Groove 3. I highly recommend the series as there is lot to Mixbus 6. https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Harri ... -Explained
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:56 pm

crashgates wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:01 am
Hi Gabgar

It looks awfully similar to "Adour", ie the open source Daw on linux

I think the AV linux distro has both a free version of "Adour" and demo version of "Harrison"

plus a good deal of free plug ins pre installed

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=avlinux

hope this helps
"Ardour" I think you meant; I don't know much about it, but I do know that Harrison Mixbus is designed to sound like an IRL Harrison console; the caveat is that with IRL consoles, the channels are not identical; there are a very few console plugins that address this, and a smidge of random can make for a bucketload of realism, under the right circumstances. Regardless, this is a great-sounding ITB DAW, designed from the ground up for a pleasant and musical analog vibe, yet you still have the option to go color free and use 3rd-party VST preamps, EQs and compressors, and the virtual console can be as big as your motherboard can handle.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:33 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:21 pm

Just remember...nobody ever got a Library deal or placement because of the DAW they used.

Talent is platform agnostic

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:53 pm

Have you recorded with Mixbus 6 or just use for mixdown purposes?
Onward and upward!
Lamar

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:06 pm

mojobone wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:56 pm
crashgates wrote:
"Ardour" I think you meant; I don't know much about it, but I do know that Harrison Mixbus is designed to sound like an IRL Harrison console; the caveat is that with IRL consoles, the channels are not identical; there are a very few console plugins that address this, and a smidge of random can make for a bucketload of realism, under the right circumstances. Regardless, this is a great-sounding ITB DAW, designed from the ground up for a pleasant and musical analog vibe, yet you still have the option to go color free and use 3rd-party VST preamps, EQs and compressors, and the virtual console can be as big as your motherboard can handle.

Mojo, have you worked much with Harrison Mixbus 6. I seem to remember that you primarily use Tracktion. I agree about the pleasant, musical vibe. I'm still working on learning its capabilities. At this point, it can do a lot more than I can skillfully use. Someday I will become fluent with it.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:14 pm

gabgar wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:51 pm
Now instead of adding effects, now I concentrate on the MIDI performance of each instrument.
Subjectively it still sounds terrible. Fake sounding Kontakt Libraries arranged and played badly ...look at the bottom of most listings..stiff midi sounding tracks are not wanted. Makes zero difference which DAW you run it through

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:35 pm

LamarPecorino wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:06 pm
mojobone wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:56 pm
crashgates wrote:

Mojo, have you worked much with Harrison Mixbus 6. I seem to remember that you primarily use Tracktion. I agree about the pleasant, musical vibe. I'm still working on learning its capabilities. At this point, it can do a lot more than I can skillfully use. Someday I will become fluent with it.
Yes, I've owned and used HMB and found it very easy to get on with; but I am a very long time (since V2.0) Tacktion/Waveform user. I'd say HMB works lie a straight ahead mix board; both are fast and easy to use but Tracktion/Waveform is just super flexible. You can build any kind of mixer you need; bus any track to any other track, build complex side chains, groups and auxes, drop VSTs on clips and groups and tons of other fancy stuff I never use, but it's nice to have options, in a pinch.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:48 pm

Curious.... what is it about the Harrison Mixbus that can't be done in Logic X? I'm kind of a noob but I'm just not seeing what it is that this thing brings to the table.