file types and storage

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

GPDoc
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: file types and storage

Post by GPDoc » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:56 pm

CTWF wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:28 pm
GPDoc wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:55 pm
As always, it took me forever to figure it out, but, Great Success! I got Audacity up and running, resampled my 44-16 piece to a 48-24, and it all worked. Wooo Hooo. And Tom, I figured out that if you click on the down arrow next to the name, on the left of the wave patterns, then click on "format" you will have the option to click 24 bit. Thanks again everyone.
Oh, yes, that works. Also, the "Spectrogram" view is cool - I have just seen that the first time. But how to export as 24bit WAV still eludes me. Might be impossible.

Tom
Well, the jury is still out with me. As a test, this morning, I created a song on my Tascam 32, set to 48-24, expecting that I would be able to load this resampled file onto that new song, but it did not work. I also don't know how to check on the song to see actually what are the settings of the song. I just know what I set them at on Audacity, but I have no way to verify what I actually got. Any idea of how to do that?

GPDoc
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by GPDoc » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:24 pm

Tom (and anyone else who knows), I found another reference that referred to Audacity as a 32 bit system, but if it's impossible to export 24 bit, then what is accomplished by setting up the resample at 24 bit (or any other setting)?

GPDoc
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by GPDoc » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:01 pm

My equipment has the option to create a 48-24 formatted song. So I would just have to figure the best way of sending it. This last task was attempting to change the song which was recorded as 44.1-16 to a 48-24 in case it was asked for. FYI, I thought I would try Cakewalk, but I can't get it to load, and I've seen that it is a 32 or 64 format, so could have the same problems?

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:13 pm

GPDoc wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:24 pm
Tom (and anyone else who knows), I found another reference that referred to Audacity as a 32 bit system, but if it's impossible to export 24 bit, then what is accomplished by setting up the resample at 24 bit (or any other setting)?
Audacity will do all its internal computations as 32-bit floating-point math. Otherwise there'd be lots of signal-to-noise loss during tracking and mixing. That's all that means, it has nothing to do with what the files look like when exported.

When I get home this weekend I'll look to see what options I can find with Audacity. I haven't seen 24-bit WAV files as an option, but that could be for lack of trying ;)

GPDoc
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by GPDoc » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:29 pm

Thanks. Since I read earlier that 48-24 was the common requirement of end users, I thought everyone was doing it. Did I get the wrong idea about what the folks with the contracts are going to need? Or is there more flexibility?

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:19 pm

I haven't landed any contracts - yet - so my info is based purely on personal use. I track at 44.1k because up until a few years ago I'd always put my rough mixes onto a CD to listen around on. My file IO is 24 bit because that's the best I can do on my hardware (actually only 20 bit on the AD converters). It's easy to downsample 24 bit WAV files to 16 bit outside of a remix, upsampling without remixing doesn't really gain anything. Data in the 8 LSB doesn't magically appear. To get good quality 24 bit masters, the DAW has to mix to that output configuration.
If I should be recording at 48k, I should start doing it immediately to avoid headaches in the future. So thanks for this excellent discussion :)

GPDoc
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by GPDoc » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:18 pm

So far I've been benefiting in a big way from everyone's responses. Nice to hear that I may have contributed something of benefit in this discussion. Cool, thanks.

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:09 pm

I recently received a very unusual delivery request from a library, they asked me for WAV/AIFF files at 48kHz/16 bit. I had to ask to confirm that, and they did... I thought it was a mistake, it was not. So, it is very, very varied!
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

GPDoc
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by GPDoc » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:40 pm

superkons wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:09 pm
I recently received a very unusual delivery request from a library, they asked me for WAV/AIFF files at 48kHz/16 bit. I had to ask to confirm that, and they did... I thought it was a mistake, it was not. So, it is very, very varied!
What settings were used for the original submission, and how did you convert the file for them?

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:53 am

GPDoc wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:40 pm
superkons wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:09 pm
What settings were used for the original submission, and how did you convert the file for them?
I sent the library tracks to audition in mp3@320kbps format, I then bounced all the requested wav at 48/16 directly from Cubase.
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello