The Walk of Time

By popular demand...

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

good4somethingbum
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: The Walk of Time

Post by good4somethingbum » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:33 am

Now it all makes sense. I'd never heard of them. I'm not on the internet as much as I once was. I'm not a believer in cyber-mentors, anyway.

Are you able to put together a listenable demo? If you'd rather PM, that'd be fine.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:07 am

I don't have Tom's voice, but I could lay out a structure. Listenable is in the ear of the auditioner.
If you would, give a little subtext of the story - how you feel the characters relate, where you feel the most important lines are, stuff like that. It will be interesting.

good4somethingbum
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by good4somethingbum » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:00 am

It'll need to be something people will want to hear more than once. I don't know how to say this, but the song on Robin's page was cheesy. It needs to be much better than that.

I don't know about your recording capabilities or your musicianship
but I'll give you a rough arrangement based on others I've worked with.

It's long so it'll need to be medium tempo. And it will need to "move " to hold an audience's interest. It'll also need a simple hook that can be repeated in the intro, outro and after each chorus.

It needs to sound like what an old Hammer movie looked like, lots of aural shadows and fog.

Intro...keep it short.

Vs 1 and chorus...tambourine and some Ry Cooder-esque acoustic slide. If you can.

Vs 2 and chorus...bring in drums and a soft bed of spooky synths.

Bridge...if you can do some massed harmonies and a trumpet, go for it. The bridge will need to stand out.

Vs 3 and chorus...sprinkle some bell chimes in there. Maybe lay some fiddle in like ground fog.

Vs 4 and final chorus. Maybe a few sound fx like owls and wolves deep in the mix.

Repeat "walk of time" three times and then slowly fade over the hook, with bell chimes being the last thing heard.

Harmonies on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th chorus.

That's it.

paula

Post by paula » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:59 pm

I dig it....

Southern goth bone broth stirred in a swamp stew...guess the roux is made from headstone dust and mausoleum angel tears.

I'm hearing Nick Cave vibes in this. As far as sync goes...can't imagine that'd be the goal with this but - the theme song for Peaky Blinders that Cave did is pretty cool - I think you'll like it. Granted, it's not as fleshed out of a story with beginning, middle, end as this...but worth a listen all the same.

Yes, I write fiction and poetry and have dipped my quill in algae to scribe a few bridal veil shrouded gothic coffin stories and poems.

Look forward to hearing the music for this one. I'm sure you can find a hollow amputated limb from a moss strangled oak to beat for a click track.

paula

Post by paula » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:03 pm

Link to that Nick Cave song : Red Right Hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxePKps87k

SpecialGuestVillain
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SpecialGuestVillain » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:33 pm

Thanks, Paula. I'm familiar with Red Right Hand. It was used in an X-Files in the early/mid 90s and was the theme of the first three Scream movies. That's the feel this would need except for a quicker tempo. :)