Find people to work with!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: WANTED: Male lead singer - versatile

Post by nick.moxsom » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:27 pm

Peter!

If I can ever help you out, gimme a shout.

Best wishes,
Nick

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:37 pm

nick.moxsom wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:27 pm
Peter!

If I can ever help you out, gimme a shout.

Best wishes,
Nick
Hey, Nick - thanks for the helpful and positive reply... how refreshing that is; certainly, I will do that.

Any specific genre that you consider more in your 'wheelhouse' than others?
I'm aware that awhile back (maybe still?) you were collaborating with Richard Dance on some projects.
Got any samples of finished songs I can hear that you did with him?

Hope all's well & good with you. Been a long time since meeting you up in L.A. at the Road Rally/s.
Cheers!
Peter
PS - here's another singer who got the job, and sang the melody per the composition.
Last edited by funsongs on Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:05 pm

ad removed.
Last edited by funsongs on Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: WANTED: Male lead singers - versatile

Post by funsongs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:48 pm

And... here's an example where the melody belonged to the co-writer - and the task was to find the voice to sing it 'as written'.
It's not always up to the singer's discretion to re-write the song.

Your Mileage May Vary.

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:15 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:02 am
funsongs wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:31 am
I reserve the right to respectfully disagree.
You can. But you are wrong.

You are basically writing a part for an instrument ( the voice ) that you yourself are unable to play . and then forcing them to perform within your own very prescriptive guidelines. Singing is actually all about feeling, interpretation and artistry, little wonder you you still haven't found anyone.
Mark. Dude. C'mon man.

This is an open forum.

Peter has posted for collaborative help, in the collaborative corner.

You may think your version of "tough love" critique all over the forum is helpful.

In this case, you're just clearly interfering in someone else's process.

Stand down.

It's not your track.

You're not a vocalist.

He's not going to hire you.

As near as I can tell, you generally don't tinker with vocal tracks anyway.

Peter is going to hire who he is going to hire.

He's going to repeat that process as many times as he feels necessary.

It's his checkbook, and he's taking care of his part of a Work In Progress, in his own way.

He's too polite to say this, but as I'm not sure we all have the same definition of politeness, I'm going to put politeness aside for a moment and be direct with you:

HE DOESNT CARE ABOUT YOUR OPINION ON THIS, PLEASE KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.

Thanks!

Jay
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:10 am

jaywilliams wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:15 pm
Blah Blah Etc.
Dear Jay. In response....6 weeks later ? Really ? Ok

True, it's an open forum but if you expect that everyone will just agree with each other then the internet might not be for you. This is not about Peter ( pretty sure he can stick up for himself anyways ) , this is about the subject matter at hand. Singing & Vocal Performance.

I one thousand per cent stand by what I already said, Pete or anyone else is free to agree or disagree, I already made my point six weeks ago and moved on. Maybe someone else will come along and read this later and it helps them..who knows ?

As for singing , I wrote my first song 30 years ago Jay, back when all we had was a guitar, a Yamaha keyboard and Commodore Amiga running Music-X. Since then I've written countless songs..about 100 or so..released various EPs back when cassettes were a thing, had my songs featured in Future Music and Sound on Sound magazine here in the UK back in the late 90's - early 2000's. I've also mixed countless songs for other people, been front of house mixer at many gigs from pubs & clubs to open air festivals and ran my own little mobile studio back in the day.

This was my last release in 2011 pre-Taxi when I actually sang my own songs, just for kicks.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0H5WvUa9 ... 9swMZ57kTQ

Am I a good singer ? No not really, there's a thread somewhere about it on this board from a few months back where we were talking about it. And NO I certainly wouldn't be offering myself for hire, and if I was I don't like cheesy country music for sure. Which is why in 2012 after releasing the above album and getting feedback about the lacklustre vocals I vowed to improve them. This resulted in 5 years of singing lessons and a year of vocal coaching with someone who's worked with some of the biggest names out there as a vocal coach , session singer and vocal producer. I also read all the recommended text books and and took couple of well the known singing courses over the internet. When I go into to something Jay I go all in and I go deep.

Did it help ? Well yes and no...I now know far more about singing and vocal production than I ever did, and I already knew a fair bit from all the recording and mixing I've done for others. I developed a much better ear for analysing other people's vocals and in a studio situation I've witnessed first hand how a vocal producer can get the best out of a talented singer. As for my own singing I decided after 7 years of almost daily practice that I'd always be missing some sort of X Factor and my own vocals although better than when I started were probably not professional enough for music licensing and therefore stuck mainly to instrumentals with Taxi. But yes I do have a handful of songs sung by other people in Libraries, there's even a Taxi TV episode somewhere with one of my songs on it.

Whether Peter cares about my opinion or not is irrelevant , I'm not here to blow smoke up people's arses but maybe there's a good reason he " can't find what he's looking for " ...let me ask you...who's doing him the favour....someone who knows the subject well enough to tell him he's going the wrong way about attracting the right singer or the people just taking his paychecks ? “There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.” ( proverbs 21:20 ) or as we atheists say " A fool and his money are soon parted ". For me, being so prescriptive and inflexible is just another form of ego. Learning to let go and allowing others to express their artistry is where the magic happens. Try posting a request like this on somewhere like The Modern Vocalist forums and see what sort of response you get.

As for standing down and keeping things to myself that'll be a big fat NOPE - Not my style. Some people appreciate straight talking, others are of a more delicate disposition...if you think I'm bad then you'll be in for a rude awakening if you do actually progress anywhere in this biz.

Mark

PS - Nice to hear you finally go off on one instead of the bland generic responses. Good to meet you !

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:16 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:10 am
jaywilliams wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:15 pm
Blah Blah Etc.
Dear Jay. In response....6 weeks later ? Really ? Ok

True, it's an open forum but if you expect that everyone will just agree with each other then the internet might not be for you. This is not about Peter ( pretty sure he can stick up for himself anyways ) , this is about the subject matter at hand. Singing & Vocal Performance.

I one thousand per cent stand by what I already said, Pete or anyone else is free to agree or disagree, I already made my point six weeks ago and moved on. Maybe someone else will come along and read this later and it helps them..who knows ?

As for singing , I wrote my first song 30 years ago Jay, back when all we had was a guitar, a Yamaha keyboard and Commodore Amiga running Music-X. Since then I've written countless songs..about 100 or so..released various EPs back when cassettes were a thing, had my songs featured in Future Music and Sound on Sound magazine here in the UK back in the late 90's - early 2000's. I've also mixed countless songs for other people, been front of house mixer at many gigs from pubs & clubs to open air festivals and ran my own little mobile studio back in the day.

This was my last release in 2011 pre-Taxi when I actually sang my own songs, just for kicks.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0H5WvUa9 ... 9swMZ57kTQ

Am I a good singer ? No not really, there's a thread somewhere about it on this board from a few months back where we were talking about it. And NO I certainly wouldn't be offering myself for hire, and if I was I don't like cheesy country music for sure. Which is why in 2012 after releasing the above album and getting feedback about the lacklustre vocals I vowed to improve them. This resulted in 5 years of singing lessons and a year of vocal coaching with someone who's worked with some of the biggest names out there as a vocal coach , session singer and vocal producer. I also read all the recommended text books and and took couple of well the known singing courses over the internet. When I go into to something Jay I go all in and I go deep.

Did it help ? Well yes and no...I now know far more about singing and vocal production than I ever did, and I already knew a fair bit from all the recording and mixing I've done for others. I developed a much better ear for analysing other people's vocals and in a studio situation I've witnessed first hand how a vocal producer can get the best out of a talented singer. As for my own singing I decided after 7 years of almost daily practice that I'd always be missing some sort of X Factor and my own vocals although better than when I started were probably not professional enough for music licensing and therefore stuck mainly to instrumentals with Taxi. But yes I do have a handful of songs sung by other people in Libraries, there's even a Taxi TV episode somewhere with one of my songs on it.

Whether Peter cares about my opinion or not is irrelevant , I'm not here to blow smoke up people's arses but maybe there's a good reason he " can't find what he's looking for " ...let me ask you...who's doing him the favour....someone who knows the subject well enough to tell him he's going the wrong way about attracting the right singer or the people just taking his paychecks ? “There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.” ( proverbs 21:20 ) or as we atheists say " A fool and his money are soon parted ". For me, being so prescriptive and inflexible is just another form of ego. Learning to let go and allowing others to express their artistry is where the magic happens. Try posting a request like this on somewhere like The Modern Vocalist forums and see what sort of response you get.

As for standing down and keeping things to myself that'll be a big fat NOPE - Not my style. Some people appreciate straight talking, others are of a more delicate disposition...if you think I'm bad then you'll be in for a rude awakening if you do actually progress anywhere in this biz.

Mark

PS - Nice to hear you finally go off on one instead of the bland generic responses. Good to meet you !
Hi Mark, Hi Jay,

I wanted to add some points in as I have seen where this dialogue has been going. Jay, I think it is a mistake to silence Mark on any of these issues and I am glad that he has affirmed that he won't stay silent. I think the forum needs expert advice and Mark does give honest albeit blunt feedback when it is criticism. Mark, while I agree with the aim of your feedback, the technique needs a little tweaking. As musicians and songwriters, we are very sensitive about our babies. The mere creation of a song automatically sends us into a delusional state that we are automatically masterminds. We aren't. But to quell that longing or desire to be a mastermind defeats the purpose and the will to improve. Bluntness, Sarcasm or any comment that demeans someone can kill the will for further creativity.

I don't think anyone should be asked to be quiet but at the same time the experience one has acquired should be used to nurture the newbies and those of us who are maybe sadly mistaken that we are geniuses...lol. Everyone thinks this is easy but there are dozens of reasons to return a song let alone get it signed to a library. We just have to gently remind people of that and encourage them. Will they get better? Maybe, maybe not. However in the worse case scenario, we are here to foster good will in the spirit of a community.

Cheers everybody!
Robert

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:36 pm

Robertj64 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:16 am
Cheers everybody!
Robert
Cheers Robert. Some good points.

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:57 pm

Not everyone is as capable of speaking up for themselves, online or in person, as you may think.

Sure, keep doing your thing, you were going to any way.

But, after giving this a lot of thought, I suspect you are driving more people away from the forum than you are actually helping. Or perhaps it's equal numbers.

If we were all ready to advance in this business, there would not be a market need for Taxi.

This is Taxi's forum and sandbox, so they're running it the way they have decided to run it.

I'm just not sure that trash talking the newbies is the best way to create and maintain a supportive community.

But hey, best of luck in your career, you've found a path that works for you, that's great.

I'm willing to entertain the possibility that the path that works for you, may not work for everyone.

I understand there's a delicate balance to maintain in running an open forum, no one likes heavy handed censorship, but I for one would prefer forum rules that promote more civil discourse than what I've seen from Mark over the last two years. Taxi disagrees, and it's their business.

Fortunately it's a big wide world full of other forums and other paths to success with music, through sync licensing or otherwise.

Take care!

Jay :)
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions