Well known Library taking part of writers share...

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Well known Library taking part of writers share...

Post by guscave » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:26 am

I'm seeing this trend growing more, but not so much as the library asking for half of the writer's share for themselves but rather the production company asking for it. In return they are promising the library a lot more placements to offset the loss. I know of one library that has gotten me lots of placements that is no longer taking in new writers unless they agree with the new terms.

I'm not too crazy about it and hope it doesn't become the new norm, but it is popping up more and more.

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:32 pm

guscave wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:26 am
I'm seeing this trend growing more, but not so much as the library asking for half of the writer's share for themselves but rather the production company asking for it. In return they are promising the library a lot more placements to offset the loss. I know of one library that has gotten me lots of placements that is no longer taking in new writers unless they agree with the new terms.

I'm not too crazy about it and hope it doesn't become the new norm, but it is popping up more and more.
I’d sign this deal with the quickness. Please send me a PM about this company. I got some cues that I need to get signed!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:55 pm

guscave wrote:

I hope you didn't sign this type of deal, my "old" friend.

Best,
:D Casey

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:52 am

DesireInspires wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:32 pm
guscave wrote:

I’d sign this deal with the quickness. Please send me a PM about this company. I got some cues that I need to get signed!
You seem to have misunderstood the business of music. It's not about signing away your rights to get into a low end library. Its about keeping your rights, while getting music placed in high end productions.
Ceo of my own life

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:48 am

Kolstad wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:52 am
DesireInspires wrote:
guscave wrote:

You seem to have misunderstood the business of music. It's not about signing away your rights to get into a low end library. Its about keeping your rights, while getting music placed in high end productions.
The library I'm talking about is not a low end library. This library represents about 75% of my income. Again the library is not keeping the 50% writer for all thier placements. This is specific to one very large production company who is requesting it from any library they deal with from now on.

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:55 am

Casey H wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:55 pm
guscave wrote:

Best,
Hi Casey,
Normally I wouldn't go for such a deal, but this library does extremely well for me. I spent about 2 hours on a video conference with the CEO discussing this as well as other issues before making my decision. This type of deal is exclusive to only one production company they work with. All other placemets will still remain the same as before. The idea here is that we shouldn't see an decrease in revenue because there will be more placements. But only time will tell. Good thing is I can pull out of it at any time by simply not providing any more music to them.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:13 am

guscave wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:55 am
Casey H wrote:
guscave wrote:

Best,
Hi Casey,
Normally I wouldn't go for such a deal, but this library does extremely well for me. I spent about 2 hours on a video conference with the CEO discussing this as well as other issues before making my decision. This type of deal is exclusive to only one production company they work with. All other placemets will still remain the same as before. The idea here is that we shouldn't see an decrease in revenue because there will be more placements. But only time will tell. Good thing is I can pull out of it at any time by simply not providing any more music to them.
Gus
One production company now and you don't think MANY later? You don't think you're contributing to a dangerous trend for other production companies/libraries? I'm sad to see your decision here. Penny-wise and pound foolish. Ultimately harming yourself and everyone else in this business.

BTW, I'm aware of that library and video call.

Seeing a friend who has "been around the block" quite a few times in this business do this is very disappointing.

Casey

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:42 am

Kolstad wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:52 am
DesireInspires wrote:
guscave wrote:

There is no misunderstanding on my part.

You can make more money by getting 50% on placements than keeping 100%. The percentage is not what makes the most money. It is having songs consistently placed with the right companies on the right shows. A co-write on a good group of songs can generate a lot more money than full writers share for underperforming cues.

I do co-writes with others to get into libraries that I do not have tracks with. And I let others co-write with me to get them into libraries that they have not worked with before. Collaboration is the new way in music licensing. Holding on to cues to wait for a perfect deal is not that beneficial. You can always write more!

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:44 am

guscave wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:55 am
Casey H wrote:
guscave wrote:

Best,
Hi Casey,
Good deal, bro. Hopefully you will have more $10,000 coming your way!

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:02 am

guscave wrote:

Gus,
I think your post here encapsulates the issue to me.

This particular production company asked the library/it’s writers for more of the “pie” in return for a promise of more placements. A promise that may or may not be kept.. It could conceivably be further amended by the prod company for a larger piece in the future.

Now I can’t completely blame this prod co for “asking” for a bigger share- asking is part of the negotiating process. In my opinion the fault lies with the library for capitulating to these new terms and passing them on to its writers.
This is a large library with several US offices and a presence in Europe.
I would’ve thought they would have the strength to resist this deal and not leave their writers with this “take it or leave it” offer ..
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com