Critique question

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Critique question

Post by songmaster » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:30 pm

I received a critique of one of my songs back and I changed some of the verses as advised by the screener. Is it possible to have the same screener critique the song again, with the changes ? Or should it go to a different screener ?

Cheers

Tom

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Critique question

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:34 pm

songmaster wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:30 pm
I received a critique of one of my songs back and I changed some of the verses as advised by the screener. Is it possible to have the same screener critique the song again, with the changes ? Or should it go to a different screener ?

Cheers

Tom
No - it's a one shot deal, do-overs. All you can do is wait for a similar listing

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:15 pm

My very first submission (and return) I sent back for a custom critique. I think the screener knew my circumstances (new member, first submission), or at least I assume the screeners have some basic info about the member being screened. The screener suggested I might get more from a custom critique
For something like this, you might want to consider a custom review ... it needs more focus and some of the more crucial elements to get forwarded.
and so I requested the same screener. I think it's easy enough to ask for a particular screener; they didn't give me the idea that it was taboo.

The short version is you can get the same screener, but it probably doesn't matter. It's not like a conversation about the piece; you ask specific, pointed questions that you want answered, and the screener does their best to comply. To be honest, the screeners hear so much stuff that they won't remember critiquing your piece the first time. So it's best to approach the custom critique process as if the screener is hearing for the first time. The questions you submit for the custom critique are the most important element, more important than the choice of screener. I hope that makes sense!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:55 am

CTWF wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:16 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:34 pm

No - it's a one shot deal, do-overs. All you can do is wait for a similar listing
Sounds more like a custom critique to me. Is there the option to request certain screeners?
Oh I see...I've never had one to be fair. Just rely on the ears of my Co-writers or people who are more successful at this !

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by songmaster » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:33 am

Sorry everyone. I should have stated that it was a "Custom" critique. Maybe the Administration can answer that one for me. I do Custom critiques so often, I just assumed everyone knew what I was talking about. Never assume they say :oops:

Tom