Orchestral Cue feedback (thanks everyone!)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Orchestral Cue feedback (thanks everyone!)

Post by hummingbird » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:33 am

Been working on this track for awhile, was thinking of submitting it to this Dispatch listing. I can remove the intro to put it around two minutes in length.
https://soundcloud.com/user-897719702/s ... 1fTAIUj3yC

A WIDE RANGE of ORCHESTRAL INSTRUMENTAL CUES is needed by a Music Licensing Company with a long and impressive list of great placements in Film, TV, and Commercials.

They’re on the hunt for a range of Instrumental Cues in various styles. Here are some examples, but you don't have to be in the stylistic ballpark of these -- they're just some ideas to get your gears turning:

Aladdin's Hideout (From "Aladdin”) by Alan Menken
"The Final Battle" by Henrik Airaksinen
"The Journey" by Philipp Klein
FX on Hulu

Please submit well-composed, well-executed Orchestral Instrumental Cues that would be useful in film/TV scenes or even Trailers and Promos. Moods can range from anthemic, to big, bombastic action-oriented, to introspective, to melancholy, to anticipatory, to light-hearted, to revelatory, to optimistic, to.... well you get the idea, practically anything goes, as long as it's something that sticks to a singular melodic idea, motif, and mood from beginning to end. Create dynamics and forward momentum in your pieces by layering instruments in and out as they progress.

Don't try to score an entire scene with shifting/changing moods or ideas. Imagine a music supervisor looking for (for instance) a Cue that would work in a scene about the long ride home from a cemetery after a funeral. It would be sad all the way through, right? It wouldn't become anthemic or happy because the scene probably wouldn't change to that mood. Even if it did, you wouldn't know at what point in the scene that happened, so you couldn't effectively compose to the timing of that change. No matter what your style or mood, stick to one thing throughout!

If you're using virtual instruments, please be sure that they sound high-quality and not dated, obviously quantized, or MIDI-driven. The more your music sounds like a real orchestra played by real humans, the better!

All submissions should be at about 2 minutes long (give or take). Non-Faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings will work best. Please do not copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for overall feel, texture, and tone. Broadcast quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You'll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share, and you'll get 100% of the Writer's share. You must own or control your Master and Composition rights. Since this is an Exclusive deal, please be sure your material is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, October 7th, 2020. TAXI Dispatch # D201007CH
Last edited by hummingbird on Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Link: Vikki Flawith Music

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Orchestral Cue feedback

Post by ComposerLDG » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:14 am

Really nice cue, Vikki. Well-written and progresses really nicely. On first listen, my ear wanted to hear a bit more dynamic range in the volume level, but I went back and listened a second time and I didn't get that feeling. Nice work; good luck with it!
Loren DiGiorgi
Uniquely piano-inspired Orchestral | Tension | Hybrid | Trailer
lorendigiorgi.com
www.taxi.com/lorendigiorgi
www.soundcloud.com/ldigiorgi
YouTube
Instagram

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:28 pm

hummingbird wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:33 am
Been working on this track for awhile, was thinking of submitting it to this Dispatch listing. I can remove the intro to put it around two minutes in length.
https://soundcloud.com/user-897719702/s ... 1fTAIUj3yC
Hi Vikki

I like the track. It has a nice calmness to it - almost a little like a lullaby, but more pomp! :) One thing I noticed is that the instrumentation feels a little on the hybrid side - the slow strings are often more like a pad and the flute has a lot of vibrato. It does not sound stiff or MIDI to me, but not entirely "organic" if you know what I mean. I only noticed it because they were mentioning the closer to a real orchestra, the better.

Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf Optimizing the beat... O|°_°|O

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:10 pm

Sorry Hummingbird

Your track is a tuff one to comment on. Its really just too nice to say anything untowards about :roll: maybe a tad on the lento tempo side but not really sure

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:25 am

ComposerLDG wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:14 am
Really nice cue, Vikki. Well-written and progresses really nicely. On first listen, my ear wanted to hear a bit more dynamic range in the volume level, but I went back and listened a second time and I didn't get that feeling. Nice work; good luck with it!
Thanks for the listen and the comment!! Much appreciated.

crashgates wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:10 pm
Sorry Hummingbird

Your track is a tuff one to comment on. Its really just too nice to say anything untowards about :roll: maybe a tad on the lento tempo side but not really sure
Smiles. Ages ago I wrote a song called "Still" which (like most of my songs) is too poetic and 'non-commercial'... I liked the melody so I used it as inspiration for this piece. So I'm not surprised it has a 'lento' feel :)

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:28 am

CTWF wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:28 pm

Hi Vikki

I like the track. It has a nice calmness to it - almost a little like a lullaby, but more pomp! :) One thing I noticed is that the instrumentation feels a little on the hybrid side - the slow strings are often more like a pad and the flute has a lot of vibrato. It does not sound stiff or MIDI to me, but not entirely "organic" if you know what I mean. I only noticed it because they were mentioning the closer to a real orchestra, the better.

Tom
Thanks for that feedback, Tom. I was using an ensemble patch for one of the string lines, so I took your comments to heart and did a slight revision, is this an improvement?
https://soundcloud.com/user-897719702/s ... tOtaYgyQWv

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:31 pm

hummingbird wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:28 am
Thanks for that feedback, Tom. I was using an ensemble patch for one of the string lines, so I took your comments to heart and did a slight revision, is this an improvement?
https://soundcloud.com/user-897719702/s ... tOtaYgyQWv
Hi Vikki

I mostly focused on the beginning as it was easier to AB there, and it feels more "natural" to me there, yes.

Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf Optimizing the beat... O|°_°|O

Peterg
Active
Active

Post by Peterg » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:38 pm

I really like the low tymp sound (if that's what it is). It has a dreamy quality and I like the way it seems to nearly fall apart each time it repeats, but doesn't, its just an interesting change of rhythm .
It a bit like a funeral march, perhaps a distant snare (like Ravel's Bolero) would work.

Peter

helenrobertson

Post by helenrobertson » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:11 am

Really like this. It has a real early spring morning feel to it.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:55 pm

Thanks Peter and Helen for the listen and the comments! Much appreciated :)