Epic trailer style covers

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Epic trailer style covers

Post by Zaychi » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:53 am

I'm torn as to whether I like the solo violin and synth for the bit of missing chorus melody.
yeah, I understand what you mean... on the second line, the windy thing plays the A as an explanation "afterwards". Maybe pull it forward a bit so it actually coincides with the vocal?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:35 pm

I think the extra vocal ambience works but it's maybe a bit too much of a good thing and needs backing off little. I also notice there's some sort of timing issue with the vocal FX, the delay doesn't sound like it's at the same tempo as the track ( or a musical division of it ) and the delays seem to be coming at odd times. Also I think your reverb has too much mud so the reverb return needs Eq'ing with a HPF or something to clear it up and maintain vocal clarity.

I really like the additional melodic part to mirror the original BTW

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:01 pm

I feel that what grabbed all of us in the first mix was the clarity of the first vocal line (innocence/sincerity)
I would still leave that first line as in the Original and start the effects from line 2 on...
I get what Mark/Cosmic is saying on the delay timing but I DIG IT, adds an element of Creepyness/Foreboding
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

helenrobertson

Post by helenrobertson » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:36 am

Thanks all. I am hoping to have time to have a play with your suggestions this evening. Mixing has never been my strong point, but I guess that's just something that comes with practice!

helenrobertson

Post by helenrobertson » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:42 pm

Hopefully this is the final version. I tamed the whispers and the reverb a bit, EQ'd out the nastiest of the frequencies on that riser, nudged the chord change and, at a suggestion from another forum, I've added some low stuff to the 3rd part. I think I'm just going to go ahead an submit this, as I won't have any time to make any further changes before the deadline. Thank you all for you help! https://soundcloud.com/helen-robertson- ... ricTV9htgN

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:04 pm

Best version so far...good luck with it Helen !

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Yeah, many issues solved, glad you pushed up the vocal in the early track, really finished it off!

Just remeber to cut it shorter, there's over 20s of silence at the end of the track.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:30 pm

I haven't commented before, but I agree you've gotten this song into its 'zone', providing enough of the original melody (and countermelody) to satisfy the listener. Well done!

helenrobertson

Post by helenrobertson » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:44 am

Zaychi wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:36 pm
Just remeber to cut it shorter, there's over 20s of silence at the end of the track.
Damn... I did not notice that, and unfortunately, there's no edit button on the submission, even though the listing hasn't ended. I'll update the one on my profile and hope for the best. I don't think it updates what they listen to, though.

helenrobertson

Post by helenrobertson » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:36 am

CTWF wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:40 am
helenrobertson wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:44 am
Damn... I did not notice that, and unfortunately, there's no edit button on the submission, even though the listing hasn't ended. I'll update the one on my profile and hope for the best. I don't think it updates what they listen to, though.
Hi Helen

From what the last mystery library owner said on TAXI TV, they will/can go in and edit silence out, especially if it is as easy as this one just at the very end. So, let's hope the screener sees the potential anyway.

Tom
Thanks, Tom. That is reassuring.