Anybody using "Reference" A/B Plugin?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Anybody using "Reference" A/B Plugin?

Post by MusicBug » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:30 pm

I'm looking into getting an A/B plugin so I can compare my mixes to reference tracks. Does anyone have experience with the "Reference" plugin made by Mastering the Mix? It seems like a good choice for the price, but I have no experience with these things so any advice will be welcome. I need to stay under $100 at the very most. The further under, the better as long as it works. Any ideas? Thanks.
"It's Never Too Late To Be What You Could Have Been." -- George Eliot

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Anybody using "Reference" A/B Plugin?

Post by lesmac » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:29 pm

I have it but haven't used it in a little while.

It's okay and does what it is designed to do.

I'd say hold off till you have the money to purchase Ozone 9. Ozone is really powerful and if you can get into it cheap somewhere you may be able to upgrade to standard down the line at a reduced price.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:37 am

I have Reference, and I think its the best Ive found for references. I used to use Magic AB, which was good but didn't have the level match feature, which is very convenient.
I use it a lot, along with their Levels plugin, which I think is fantastic.
Ceo of my own life

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:10 am

Metric A/B from Plugin Alliance is pretty great. Lots of reference and metering options and goes on sale periodically for $49.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:37 am

Kolstad wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:37 am
I used to use Magic AB, which was good but didn't have the level match feature, which is very convenient.
I also use Magic A/B ..can you explain about the level match feature of "Reference " - I have recently moved on from mastering in the standalone editor Wavelab which I've done since the late 90's , to adding my mastering plugins to the end of the 2buss chain in my DAW session. I found it much easier to level match in Wavelab as I think I learned to do it by eye over the years !

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:24 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:37 am
Kolstad wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:37 am
I used to use Magic AB, which was good but didn't have the level match feature, which is very convenient.
I also use Magic A/B ..can you explain about the level match feature of "Reference " - I have recently moved on from mastering in the standalone editor Wavelab which I've done since the late 90's , to adding my mastering plugins to the end of the 2buss chain in my DAW session. I found it much easier to level match in Wavelab as I think I learned to do it by eye over the years !
Yeah, its very good. It does level match volume very well. You simply import the reference mix and turn on level matching, so the other mix is the same level as yours, but it will also indicate how the mixes differ in eq profile. It will show you if the referenced mix has more or less bass, mids or top than your mix. Ive found that useful during mixing when my ears were fried, and I couldnt trust what I heard anymore.

I think its very good. I liked Magic AB as well, but that was more of a reference player. Reference by Mastering The Mix is more useful as a tool, when you need it imo.
Ceo of my own life

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:36 pm

Re thinking my first post I would say if you can get Reference at a discount it is better than just OK.

It's one of those things about where you are going to put your money. I sort of wish I had put the money I spent on Reference into the iZotope bundle. I picked Reference up for $58USD [45Pound sterling] in Feb of this year.

Because I had Ozone 8 Elements which I got for free I was able to upgrade to iZotope's Tonal Balance Control Bundle which included Ozone 9 advanced; Nectar 3; Neutron 3 advanced; Melodyne 5 essential and Tonal Balance Control 2 all for $200US. The deal was probably a once a year offer though and I may have been in the right place at the right time.

So if you need Reference now and if you can find a deal on it all the better. It level matches; shows your EQ and compression comparison in selectable bands. I have coveted the levels plugin too.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:04 pm

Kolstad wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:24 pm
I think its very good. I liked Magic AB as well, but that was more of a reference player. Reference by Mastering The Mix is more useful as a tool, when you need it imo.
Cheers K

MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MusicBug » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:20 am

Thank you Gabgar. I am using Presonus Studio One 5.

MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MusicBug » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:24 am

Thanks to everyone who posted a comment here. I appreciate all the input. Cheers!