Classical covers

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sagebrush2

Classical covers

Post by sagebrush2 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:09 am

TAXI # S201021CL reads:
Lots of INSTRUMENTAL COVERS of CLASSICAL PUBLIC DOMAIN PIECES are needed by a Music Licensing Company that specializes in music for content creators as well as TV shows and Film projects!

They’re looking for Instrumental Covers of Classical pieces from all Classical Eras (Baroque, Romantic, Classical, etc.) in All Tempos that would fall within the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references:

"Peer Gynt Suite No.1, Op.46 - 4. In The Hall Of The Mountain King" by Edvard Grieg

"Suite bergamasque, L.75: III. Clair de lune" by Claude Debussy

"Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007: I. Prélude" by Johann Sebastian Bach

"Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67 - 1. Allegro con brio" by Ludwig van Beethoven

NOTE: They want Instrumental Covers of well-known Classical pieces. The more familiar the compositions, the better, as long as they're in the Public Domain!

My question: I was going to do simple piano covers of some classic public domain pieces (Vivaldi's Spring simplified piano version, for example), but listening to the examples again, and I don't know if I would call them reimagined covers like I was planning on doing. Is it fair to say they just want you to submit instrumentals that sound true to the original pieces?
Heather Yates
heayates@gmail.com

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Classical covers

Post by AlanHall » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:44 pm

The composers of old often made piano arrangements of their pieces. And many orchestral numbers we've come to know and love were originally piano pieces, orchestrated by later composers. So it goes both ways.
JM2C worth - if the tune is recognizable, and the realization is classical - rather than a modern pop or dance version - then I'm thinking it would be welcome.

edit: when you say "simplified piano version", this is an arrangement you are writing? Often an arrangement that has been published can be covered by copyright even though the original composition is not. Be careful if you are using such arrangements as a starting point.
Also, if you are doing a piano version, why not 'four hands'? That will make it less of a simplified version.

sagebrush2

Re: Classical covers

Post by sagebrush2 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:40 am

Thanks, Alan! That sounds good. I'll go ahead and submit, and see what feedback I get from the screeners, too.
Heather Yates
heayates@gmail.com