Acapella Christmas Carols

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TalentMatters

Acapella Christmas Carols

Post by TalentMatters » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:44 pm

Hi, fellow music professionals! I'd like to ask your opinion about the current listing TAXI # S201018CC for Acapella Christmas Carols. The listing calls for small or large groups, and reads that amateur or pro groups are okay. Since I am only one person and don't have any other singers handy, I am considering singing each harmony part myself (along with the lead, of course) to sound like a small group, and I wonder if all the voices will sound way too similar - since they will all be me. That might end up sounding like a weird female barbershop quartet as opposed to a group of varying voices... What do you think? I totally want to do it, and I'm absolutely willing and excited to put in the huge amount of work required to do it; I will put in the time, write the arrangements and record every single part IF you think it would be in line with what is bing requested. I really can't decide. I have emailed TAXI to ask if that might sound too slick, since the timber on all vocals is going to be identical -- might just be too weird.

I welcome your input!

Thanks, all!
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Thomas Jefferson

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Acapella Christmas Carols

Post by Kolstad » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:45 am

Dont overthink it, you will never know if not trying. After all no lives are at stake ;)

I will encourage you to get started and see how it goes. If you at some point halfway can see that your idea wont hold for this particular listing, go with the flow and finish it as the best it can be, so you will have something for another listing. That way, your work will not be wasted as there is always another request.

As new to the game, its all about getting dirt on your fingers and plant some seeds. That way you will feed your learning process, and get something to build upon. 8-)
Ceo of my own life

PDebik
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by PDebik » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:10 am

TalentMatters wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:44 pm
The listing calls for small or large groups, and reads that amateur or pro groups are okay. Since I am only one person and don't have any other singers handy,
If it is authentic, unique and well-produced, why would someone not want to hear it? You should go for it.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:17 am

Absolutely you can do that. I'd suggest singing the same line two or three times; so you have melody and two harmony parts that sound like 9 singers. You can change things up by
- using different mics
- having one part sing ooo or ahh against the melody and take the lead other places
- making sure to have some distance in frequency here and there (ie, sing a low A3, an F4 and a C5 (as an inversion of F), this will give a different colour to the notes

HTH
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:19 am

Another studio 'trick' is to use a stereo pair of mics, on each vocal track stand in a slightly different position so that the stereo image and room sound make the mixed tracks appear as if there were several singers each in their own physical space. Any auditory cues you can exploit to create a sense of ensemble will help.

TalentMatters

Post by TalentMatters » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:59 pm

Thank you all so much - really appreciate your input and suggestions!

~Kristen
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Thomas Jefferson