We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Sounds most like refs 1 & 3?

Post by andygabrys » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:59 pm

1 TAXI always having a disclaimer of "in no way, shape or form copy the references" (I took that much too literally, and it sent me off in the entirely wrong direction work wise, and 2 my own propensity to add my own creative touches, sometimes in excess.
1) Sure. It’s CYA. but after you have done music for media for a while it’s not a big deal and you start to learn what sorts of liberties are necessary to make an original piece and what sorts of things you need to stay with to keep the vibe.

Like tempo. Ok to keep same tempo.
Musical setting - I.e. hip hop and a certain era and ref artists.
Instruments - can’t be copyrighted.

However Musical ideas like the Audi commercial that used a track that directly copied the guitar riff from one of Eminem’s biggest hits- nope. That justifiably wound up in court.

2) It’s a journey learning to add your own touch, but it’s also a journey learning how to write very simply and make your pitch on target.

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:21 pm

andygabrys wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:59 pm

However Musical ideas like the Audi commercial that used a track that directly copied the guitar riff from one of Eminem’s biggest hits- nope. That justifiably wound up in court.
Had to check that case out and wow - what were they thinking when they cleared that !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqzsIZ6Qth0

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:32 pm

SubRivers wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:21 pm
andygabrys wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:59 pm

Had to check that case out and wow - what were they thinking when they cleared that !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqzsIZ6Qth0
Yeah that one is a little shocking right?