Underscores

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

stylayly

Underscores

Post by stylayly » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:00 pm

I have an underscore version for a cue. Is it possible to include the underscore version without incurring another five dollar fee?
I have not failed; I know 2,000 ways how not to make a light bulb. - Thomas Edison

Clay Bearden

https://www.taxi.com/members/stylayly

PDebik
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Underscores

Post by PDebik » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:49 am

Each submission costs 5 $. There is no discount for similar titles or variants.

Please let me draw something from your knowledge, too: Underscoring is the music underneath a dialogue or action on the screen. But that is mostly what a cue is, too, so what in your opinion is the difference between a cue and an underscore cue?

stylayly

Post by stylayly » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:18 am

My understanding is an underscore is a cue without the melody. Sometimes the melody can interfere with the dialog of a scene, so removing the melody can make for a better fit in some instances; sometimes a melody is what's needed. Plus, if you have a melody it is very easy to remove in mixdown to create a second version. Being veratile can only be helpful.
I have not failed; I know 2,000 ways how not to make a light bulb. - Thomas Edison

Clay Bearden

https://www.taxi.com/members/stylayly

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:10 am

From my understanding, an underscore is written to picture, while a cue is not. Notwithstanding, you are correct that editors will want a version of the cue without melody. The library will provide that, because they will ask you to provide that - potentially with other 'alt mixes' - when they contact you for the master. The library who auditions your cue will be able to imagine what the cue will sound like without the melody. The other way 'round, not so much. I think you're OK sending only the "full mix" version. That's what I've seen (heard) in the forwards blog.

Some members do send 'mix minus vocals' for an instrumental listing. I'm not sure how effective that is.