general question

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

general question

Post by ronnie35 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:42 pm

Hello Taxi Question when you write a song, a cue or an instrumental do you write for listings or do you just write? So lets say you write EDM very good do you wait until there are listings for EDM or do you just write a mess of EDM

Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: general question

Post by hummingbird » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:06 pm

A bit of both, really. However I think most folks recommend writing to listings because you might be closer matching the a la's and other requirements that way.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

PDebik
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by PDebik » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:09 am

Almost for listings only. Else you'd need thousands of cues to accidentally match a listing. Even when writing specificially for a listing, it still might not nail it.

youseeitsme

Post by youseeitsme » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:23 am

I think it's a good idea to do both. This will accomplish two things. 1. the more you write the better you get and 2. the more you write the larger your catalogue of material becomes and the more likely you have something already created for a new listing. Work hard but work smart. As a side note I think it's really important to write some stuff for yourself only. In my experience this is the best way to figure out where your strengths are. When you just write for yourself everything comes naturally and after a while you can sit back and listen to those tunes and say "so that's what I'm all about". Then it becomes a little easier to target those listings that better fit your strengths potentially giving you a better chance to get forwarded.

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ComposerLDG » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:51 am

ronnie35 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:42 pm
Hello Taxi Question when you write a song, a cue or an instrumental do you write for listings or do you just write? So lets say you write EDM very good do you wait until there are listings for EDM or do you just write a mess of EDM

Ron
You know, it's funny you asked that. I go through phases. Some weeks I write furiously to the listings. After about a week of it I crash and just can't look at another listing, and I just let it rip and write art from the heart. Then once that's out of my system I go back to the listings and the cycle repeats.

Where it gets funny is when you write something for yourself and suddenly a listing appears that it's perfect for. I wrote something really quirky about a month ago during the "off listing" phase, and wouldn't you know it, a listing for quirky songs showed up. Still waiting on that one, but got my fingers crossed!
Loren DiGiorgi
Uniquely piano-inspired Orchestral | Tension | Hybrid | Trailer
lorendigiorgi.com
www.taxi.com/lorendigiorgi
www.soundcloud.com/ldigiorgi
YouTube
Instagram

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:09 pm

I spent a good couple of years writing "only " to the listings. I feel that gave me a good grounding on what they wanted , and how to produce it.

Once I had some Libraries under my belt I wrote for their briefs ..very similar to writing for a Taxi listing, or often they were ALSO Taxi listings but I was dealing directly.

In this current year which is my 4th I've written more material that hasn't been for a brief - A lot of libraries seem to want complete albums so I've done several and then shopped them to publishers afterwards, and when you have to make 10 tracks in one style I think you just naturally write what flows out.

But what flows out of me now now is informed by all those previous years of writing to briefs so my natural music is more licensable than in previous years.

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:23 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:09 pm
I spent a good couple of years writing "only " to the listings. I feel that gave me a good grounding on what they wanted , and how to produce it.

Once I had some Libraries under my belt I wrote for their briefs ..very similar to writing for a Taxi listing, or often they were ALSO Taxi listings but I was dealing directly.

In this current year which is my 4th I've written more material that hasn't been for a brief - A lot of libraries seem to want complete albums so I've done several and then shopped them to publishers afterwards, and when you have to make 10 tracks in one style I think you just naturally write what flows out.

But what flows out of me now now is informed by all those previous years of writing to briefs so my natural music is more licensable than in previous years.
I second that, took the words out of my mouth +1
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:30 pm

cassmcentee wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:23 pm
I second that, took the words out of my mouth +1
This Is The Way

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:22 pm

Instrumental tracks in particular cues I write to the brief and songs with lyrics I tend to just write although I will write songs to briefs as well.... I find with songs its more a Genre thing like singer/songwriter or pop and a vibe and instrumentals tens to be more specific with what they want.... Just how I look at it

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:43 pm

Super thanks to everyone this really helps me
Best, Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org