2 Forwards for Positive Inspirational Piano S201008PN

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TimHarrison
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

2 Forwards for Positive Inspirational Piano S201008PN

Post by TimHarrison » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:37 am

After watching the second day of the virtual Road Rally, I was thrilled to find in my inbox 2 Forwards for the above listing. The 2 successful "babies" of mine are;
Make it Happen and
We're in this together

Looking forward to day 3 of the road rally, it's been a blast!

Www.taxi.com/members/timharrison

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Re: 2 Forwards for Positive Inspirational Piano S201008PN

Post by RPaul » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:00 pm

TimHarrison wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:37 am
After watching the second day of the virtual Road Rally, I was thrilled to find in my inbox 2 Forwards for the above listing. The 2 successful "babies" of mine are;
Make it Happen and
We're in this together
Cool, congratulations, I especially noticed lots of edit points in "Make It Happen".

I got both of my submissions for this listing forwarded, as well, but my inbox also had 3 rejections an AC songs listing, so the returns outnumbered the forwards. At least I read the return messages first so got to hear the good news later. :)

Rick

TimHarrison
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TimHarrison » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:54 am

RPaul wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:00 pm

the returns outnumbered the forwards. At least I read the return messages first so got to hear the good news later. :)

Rick

I never let the returns take away the sense of achievement from the forwards. I submitted 4 in all to this listing and the feedback on the returns will help me to improve those and future similar submissions

Tim

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:57 am

TimHarrison wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:54 am
I never let the returns take away the sense of achievement from the forwards. I submitted 4 in all to this listing and the feedback on the returns will help me to improve those and future similar submissions
I hear you, and that is a good attitude. While both of the tracks I submitted for this listing got forwarded, the listing that got the three rejections was one I'd consider much more up my alley since I've primarily been a songwriter, and most everything I do "for me" is songs, with lyrics, and the recordings of those songs.

With maybe one or two exceptions, all the instrumentals I've done have been done specifically for TAXI listings, the first five or so written during my one year back in TAXI around 2011 (of which two got forwarded then, and one that didn't did get a forward after I rejoined in late 2018). The whole notion of cues has been especially foreign to me (even after reading the "Demystifying the Cue" book and studying cues in other ways). They're decidedly out of my comfort zone (even more so than instrumental songs, which are what got forwarded for my previous three instrumental forwards). I'd totally struck out on those until now. In fact, one of the ones that got forwarded for this listing wasn't technically a cue, but more like underscore (I'd written it for a previous ad listing, actually writing to the visuals from one of the ad references from that listing). I know this is at least partly because the music I write is much more frequently inspired by the lyrics than the other way around.

RIck

TimHarrison
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TimHarrison » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:28 pm

RPaul wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:57 am

I know this is at least partly because the music I write is much more frequently inspired by the lyrics than the other way around.

RIck
That's interesting and I had a thought about what you have said. How would it work for you if when writing and instrumental/cue you were to write a lyric for just yourself to give the music a frame of reference. In other words if the emotion of the "silent lyric" were to inspire and shape the music to express the intended emotion? Just a thought

Tim

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:21 pm

TimHarrison wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:28 pm
That's interesting and I had a thought about what you have said. How would it work for you if when writing and instrumental/cue you were to write a lyric for just yourself to give the music a frame of reference. In other words if the emotion of the "silent lyric" were to inspire and shape the music to express the intended emotion? Just a thought
Thanks for the thought, Tim.

I may try this sort of thing next time I try a cue project. My suspicion, however, is that the "melodies" for cues need to be very different from melodies for songs, not only in the sense of needing to be unobtrusive, but also with a less flowing structure. Writing to (silenced) videos may be another possibility.

I think part of the deal has to be to just ad lib while recording on a DAW, as opposed to developing melodies in my head long before ever recording them. Then I can listen back to find the bits that seem most promising and develop those further. This is something I've tried a few of the times when doing cues, albeit with pretty mixed results. Cues, and instrumentals for that matter, are really a new world for me.

Rick

TimHarrison
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TimHarrison » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:50 pm

RPaul wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:21 pm

I may try this sort of thing next time I try a cue project. My suspicion, however, is that the "melodies" for cues need to be very different from melodies for songs, not only in the sense of needing to be unobtrusive, but also with a less flowing structure.
Melodies in terms of instrumental cues are probably best hinted at rather than fully played. The instance that I'm not so sure about is instrumentals (as opposed to instrumental cues) where there is a need for melody, but I've often had returns where the screener considered it too strong/distracting.

Tim

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:21 pm

Two nice pieces, Tim. Congratulations!

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

TimHarrison
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TimHarrison » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:03 am

DannyWeber wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:21 pm
Two nice pieces, Tim. Congratulations!

Dan
Thanks Dan!

janetbmusic

Post by janetbmusic » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:23 am

Congrats Tim! I also got 2 forwards on that listing - Better Days and Celebrate Together. Hope we both get in!