Bummed. Really Bummed. Like, SOOOO Bummed

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TalentMatters

Re: Bummed. Really Bummed. Like, SOOOO Bummed

Post by TalentMatters » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:47 pm

Thank you so much to all who replied. Your words are wise and absolutely right, and I whole-heartedly agree with everything that has been "said" (written!)! I did stay till the end of the rally, and Michael Lloyd's closing statement during the last panel really hit me in the heart. I wrote on my facebook: "How can I feel so discouraged, yet also energized, supported and inspired at the same time?!" And that's really it. Seeing and hearing just what it takes, and how hard everyone has worked (and continues to work!) really helped me put things in perspective. So much wisdom during all the panels. And, it was lovely chatting with you, too! (I'm Kristen Knight.)

Thank you again. I'm giving myself a bit more time because I'm still really pissed off at my piano (because it's totally my piano's fault that *I* can't play my next submission without messing it up!), but after I have had sufficient hiatus and the piano has learned its lesson, I'll be right back at it with renewed zeal!

Really appreciate and have the utmost respect for ALL who are in this crazy racket! What a joy - and a kick in the balls, all at the same time! LOL!
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Thomas Jefferson

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:52 am

Hi Kristen,(QHH friend)
If you have just joined I can only tell you that it gets better and easier to accept the returns, just read them and and move on to writing more and when there is an opportunity to submit the returned track in your profile then tweak and make it better from the screener critique. It is just the way it goes, some join and have ten forwards right away and some members nothing for years.

During these depressing lockdown times with no gigs I am grateful, hopeful and look forward to something when I open my email every morning.

Use the forum and ask questions, post in "PEER TO PEER" section and take others advice to make it better but also have to accept the comments as everyone is trying to help you so you have to have thick skin and be ready for the replies as some of them could sound harsh but only because we are trying to help you.

I don't know what else to say, I hope you stay with the Taxi family and look back to your post one day with a smile and lots of signed contracts with libraries.

Good luck

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:20 pm

Hey Talentmatters,

I understand how you feel. Whatever anyone tells you, just remember that screeners are human too. What were they feeling when they listened to your music? Maybe they were having an off day and not just getting your music. Maybe they heard something you didn't. You just do not know what is on the other end except for what they write you. We have no idea who they are except that they are somehow connected to the industry. It is Taxi's right to protect the identity of the screeners as well as the libraries it associates with. The flip side of that is that you have no clue with who you are dealing with until you get contacted by said library. That is the undeniable truth of the way this works here.

There are a couple of things I could advise. You can post your music on here and get the opinion of the forum. People can be blunt on here but they do mean well. Take that feedback plus your screener's comments and see if there is a consistency in the comments. If there is, then I would investigate that. Remember, consistency is what you should look for. Take everything with a grain of salt and get as much feedback as you can.

Finally, if you haven't got a reference track that is close to your music, you should find one. You can lose a lot of money submitting to Taxi simply because your music doesn't come close to the examples they give you. If you are not sure that your music fits the listing, then skip it until you do. I threw away a lot of money submitting because I was foolish thinking that my music was going to automatically fly. Be choosey about what you apply for. Don't apply to multiple listings with one song. Chances are it will be rejected multiple times for different reasons. If something doesn't quite match your music with the listing, again, do not submit. Make sure it conforms to almost every word and example track there. If you music comes close to the examples and truly fits the description then you have a fighting chance IF the screener thinks so. Those are the odds so be careful with them.

Cheers
Robert

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:28 pm

I would say to remember Taxi is not your only outlet for your songs..... Taxi is a great resource for giving you briefs and deadlines to write to and even some feedback but I have had a whole album of songs that was rejected by the taxi listing signed to a library in fact just last night I saw on my tunesat account that a song I had written for a taxi listing that was rejected was used in a German tv show.... So the question is are you in this to succeed? if the answer is yes then each rejection is a clue.....it is a sign pointing you in a direction to succeed you just have to see it.... so your song didn't match the listing ..... Good that means it will be perfect for something else maybe even a German reality tv show.....lol. My friend who I co write a lot with and myself print every rejection and hang them on the wall at one point we had hundreds just from taxi alone..... but we kept writing and submitting and every forward we got erased 100 rejections it's funny how that works.... Then a forward led to a contract with a library and at the same time I was shopping my music to libraries on my own and more contracts followed and then placements started to trickle in.... My point is Taxi is a great tool as a part of your bigger plan..... These message boards are another great tool....feedback I've gotten on here has helped me get songs signed.... Lastly this is not a passive industry you have to seize every clue, every name, every time you have a chance to hit send......send it.... hint hint.... there is an agenda hidden somewhere online from a recent music conference that has names and companies for Music libraries and Music supervisors with that info and google its easy to get emails.... and if you happened to like the panel they spoke on it would be rude of you not to send an email telling them how awesome they are and say maybe you have an album of music cues not signed that would really help fill their clients needs.... It would be downright mean of you not to send a link and see if it fills a need....

Love the Grind
Best of Luck
John

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:08 pm

JohnDroese wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:28 pm
I would say to remember Taxi is not your only outlet for your songs..... Taxi is a great resource for giving you briefs and deadlines to write to and even some feedback but I have had a whole album of songs that was rejected by the taxi listing signed to a library in fact just last night I saw on my tunesat account that a song I had written for a taxi listing that was rejected was used in a German tv show.... So the question is are you in this to succeed? if the answer is yes then each rejection is a clue.....it is a sign pointing you in a direction to succeed you just have to see it.... so your song didn't match the listing ..... Good that means it will be perfect for something else maybe even a German reality tv show.....lol. My friend who I co write a lot with and myself print every rejection and hang them on the wall at one point we had hundreds just from taxi alone..... but we kept writing and submitting and every forward we got erased 100 rejections it's funny how that works.... Then a forward led to a contract with a library and at the same time I was shopping my music to libraries on my own and more contracts followed and then placements started to trickle in.... My point is Taxi is a great tool as a part of your bigger plan..... These message boards are another great tool....feedback I've gotten on here has helped me get songs signed.... Lastly this is not a passive industry you have to seize every clue, every name, every time you have a chance to hit send......send it.... hint hint.... there is an agenda hidden somewhere online from a recent music conference that has names and companies for Music libraries and Music supervisors with that info and google its easy to get emails.... and if you happened to like the panel they spoke on it would be rude of you not to send an email telling them how awesome they are and say maybe you have an album of music cues not signed that would really help fill their clients needs.... It would be downright mean of you not to send a link and see if it fills a need....

Love the Grind
Best of Luck
John
I agree with most of what you say here, John. I believe the submissions should be scrutinized by the producer submitting to Taxi. It can be costly by continuously be submitting at $5 a shot. I think we can agree that it is more prudent to get feedback from the forum or anyone outside who will listen for free. Then scrutinize the listing...I mean really scrutinize it...the complete wording and the reference tracks.

As music producers, we have made a substantially large investment. On top of joining organizations like Taxi, many have us have pushed to invest in our equipment either by upgrading or all out purchasing. Recouping these costs and coming anywhere to breaking even for a lot of us, is a long way off. The longer we are in the business, the more upgrades are necessary. That makes it that much harder for our revenues to catch up. This is a business like anything else and as producers we have to be just as smart and cunning as those who are successful at it...ie Taxi.

I completely agree with you on investigating every avenue available to us. LOL...I got your hints!

Cheers!
Robert

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:13 pm

HI TM I just received 4 returns and on top of that I haven't had a forward since I believe it has been since September. Yeah I know it SUCKS! hey I have been with Taxi since 2011 or 10 it has been so long i can't remember. I continue to listen and learn I always remember what the LB owners and Michael said does it fit the listing does it fit the scene.
Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org